dcat151
Post subject: Grim Fandango Remastered
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 8:07 am

I just got an email this morning saying that Grim Fandango Remastered is coming to GOG in two weeks. I just wanted to let everyone know that maybe, just maybe this will be the end of fighting compatibility issues. Here's the link:

http://www.gog.com/game/grim_fandango_remastered

silvermitt
Post subject: Re: Grim Fandango Remastered
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 9:14 am

Awesome!

One Mean, Green-Eyed Fitch.

KMFDMvsEnya
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

This is Grimly Fantastic news!

Yes, this release has been specifically tweaked to run on current hardware, with some additional improvements. Alas they did not redo the world graphics but despite that they seem to hold up well enough.

Love this game. Wonder if I still have the box and hopefully the original disc case is in a good state. It is a cardboard sleeve if I recall correctly.

Best regards,
KvE

PS. I can disregard my no preorder policy for this gem. Wonder if Steam is getting it as well. Bet the soundtrack will be sold separately rather than included.

Politics is like a corral. No matter where you are you will always be shoveling it.

Chandler
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm

You guys got me interested, so I went to YouTube to watch the trailer; you know, to see what the fuss is about.

While I'm glad for you guys, and hope it's everything you want, I found the graphics so annoying and irritating I almost punched my screen.

silvermitt
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Chandler, I can't speak for anyone else but myself. I find it simply a great noir mystrey type game. The Latin flavor of it with rich colors and textures is part of the appeal. Having it remastered, and as long as they simply improve it and NOT change it, is something that people who really liked the original game, are looking forward to seeing.

I guess you had to be there, dude! :)

Last edited by silvermitt on Jan 14, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chandler
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Yeah, I just reallllllllly hate that sort of "cardboard cutout" style of graphics. I also despise Ren and Stimpy graphics. What can I say, they just annoy me. Not much does, but they do.

dread
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2015 7:32 am

Ren and Stimpy graphics ? you mean the one from the tv series?

IMO Grim is the best looking and most awesome adventure game ever.
and as stated above you had to be there :P

anyone know if they will release a hard copy of the game as well? that would rock my world? have the new and the old side by side :D

silvermitt
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2015 9:05 am

dread,

when I checked the DoubleFine's preorder link, it went directly to GOG. I'm also attempting to email them about hardcopy editions. I say attempt, because my lameass email isn't playing nicely with my mac tower anymore and crashes safari on me alot. So, if you are so inclined to email them, here is the email link for them: info@doublefine.com

Chandler
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2015 1:20 pm

dread wrote:
IMO Grim is the best looking and most awesome adventure game ever.
and as stated above you had to be there :P

And I'm glad you like the look. It's not a case of being there. I've seen the game in action and the graphics make my eyes bleed. You love 'em, I hate 'em. Such is the way of the world. Not a problem for me. Enjoy the game. :)

dread
Post Posted: Jan 19, 2015 2:57 pm

i was just curius as to how it comares to Ren and Stimpy? beeing a fan of that as well i cant see the similarety in graphicks :) is it a sertain game your refering to? case i know thers a lot of em.

hehe and im not picking a fight :P

Chandler
Post Posted: Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't know how to describe the graphics. It's more the way they're drawn unrealistically. In Ren and Stimpy the characters are all rounded, soft-edged, amorphous, like they're made out of rubber. They're also very 2D.

Grim Fandango is kind of a mix: it has some realistically drawn things, like ashtrays, but the characters have those weird, childish mask heads. And there are other characters that are drawn oddly. The mix is almost worse than Ren and Stimpy.

I just hate that stuff. I like stuff that's drawn realistically. BTW, I also hate animé. :)

But, like I said, I know there are fans of all this stuff, and that's great. Heck, my daughter loves animé. To all those people I say, "Enjoy".

GarySogar
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Chandler wrote:
I don't know how to describe the graphics. It's more the way they're drawn unrealistically. In Ren and Stimpy the characters are all rounded, soft-edged, amorphous, like they're made out of rubber. They're also very 2D.

Grim Fandango is kind of a mix: it has some realistically drawn things, like ashtrays, but the characters have those weird, childish mask heads. And there are other characters that are drawn oddly. The mix is almost worse than Ren and Stimpy.

I just hate that stuff. I like stuff that's drawn realistically. BTW, I also hate animé. :)

But, like I said, I know there are fans of all this stuff, and that's great. Heck, my daughter loves animé. To all those people I say, "Enjoy".

I really understand your objections. There are many games that I haven't even bothered to try because the graphics were cartoonish, too much like animation, or whatever. But for Grim Fandango the story, script, and voice work overcame it for me. Also, the graphics were so stylized that it didn't bother me.

But, like I said, I understand your objections.

Never too late for coffee, never too early for beer.

silvermitt
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Gary:

Florence, eh? Your opinion on the water tower???

Everytime I go to Cincinnati, I see that dumbass water tower and cringe. Of all the things that could have been written in it....

GarySogar
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2015 6:06 pm

silvermitt wrote:
Gary:

Florence, eh? Your opinion on the water tower???

Everytime I go to Cincinnati, I see that dumbass water tower and cringe. Of all the things that could have been written in it....

Here's the story of the "Florence Y'all" water tower. . .

When the tower was built, the sign on it said "Florence Mall" for the shopping center it was next to. But it was discovered that a public (government) edifice could not have a sign promoting a private (commercial) operation. Repainting the sign was expensive. So someone had the idea to make it say "Florence Y'all". . .just change the "M" to a "Y" by painting over parts of the "M", and then adding an apostrophe. Creative and much less expensive!

Never too late for coffee, never too early for beer.

Chandler
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Sheesh, the people of Florence must be some of the cheapest penny pinchers anywhere. How much more could it have possibly cost to just paint out 'Mall' completely? Not much me thinks.

Search for: