Sowden
Post subject: Kickstarter revolution: Where are we now?
Post Posted: Sep 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Hey guys. I was thinking the other day about all of these kickstarters for old game developers in the 2011/2012, and where they are now. These are just a few that I remember, but chime in if theres something that I forgot.

Tesla: First off, lets start with out old pal Tex :) The campaign was achieved in 2012 but the game was released in 2014, a year later than they said if I remember correctly. I don't know how well the game did as there are no posted numbers, but BFG side company True Golf seems to be working in stride. The game had to do good since there is word for a last Tex game. As for this campaign we still don't have radio theater episodes and the Tesla Documentary, so the kickstarter is not yet at a close (it will be so sad when it is though cause it was so exciting).
    Shadowgate: This was cool because I played De Javu as a kid, but never played this game. I got it on an emulator and it was just as great. Another one in 2012, but I think it was released a year late since it was released recently. I'm not quite sure whats going to be up for them next,
    Jane Jensen: She was interesting because I never really knew about her. Everyone started talking about her and I had to look her up. She came out with Moebius that came out with mixed reviews. She is now doing things with her Gabriel Knight series.
    Leisure Suit Larry: That was a bit of a surprise. I haven't played it yet but it looks really fun. The game was released on time and I think it did well. Al Lowe though just went back to retirement.
    7th Guest 3: *sigh* I wanted this to do well, but there were so many mis steps. Most of this has already been discussed, but it was worth mentioning. Moving on.
    Two Guys from Andromida: Can someone please explain to me whats going on with this? Last I was paying attention they released a buggy demo that looked funny, but you couldn't get far. I just looked at it recently and the game still isn'tt out!? Man, what a disappointment.

Those were all of the ones that I could think of. So some of the projects kickstarted their careers, some just went back to their own lives. I dono what I was expecting from these other than adventure games making a come back. But with companies like TellTale (who make bad ass games) it seems like the tide has come back our was. I dono, what were you guys wanting out of all of this? Not sure if theres a solid point here, but I think theres one or two. Later.

"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net

Last edited by Sowden on Sep 15, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander
Post subject: Re: Kickstarter revolution: Where are we now?
Post Posted: Sep 15, 2015 9:33 am

David! You don't know Jane Jensen? Unbelievable!
Well, have a look. They are founders of quest/adventure games:

Roberta Williams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Williams

Ken Williams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Williams_(game_developer)

Jane Jensen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jensen

Jim Walls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Walls

Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).

Frogacuda
Post subject: Re: Kickstarter revolution: Where are we now?
Post Posted: Oct 02, 2015 12:35 pm

The Two Guys from Andrommeda have both been suffering from personal issues, caring for family and the game seems to have made limited progress in the last year or so and is only now resuming "full" production. Sigh.

Armikrog, an adventure game from the creators of Neverhood came out two days ago, but it's been getting slammed pretty hard for being very buggy (which it definitely is), although it's a lovely game otherwise.

Broken Age came out earlier this year and is one of the better adventure games in recent memory, even if the story falls apart a little at the end.

Dreamfall Chapters has been releasing a bit slower than most people had hoped, but its ambitiously modern take on the genre has been really compelling, mixing Telltale like narrative pathing with exploration, and old school inventory puzzles. Really good.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 had a successful KS and the game has gotten very good reviews, but I haven't played it yet.

Ron Gilbert, the creator of Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 1 & 2 launched a KS to make a new game, Thimbleweed Park. It's a very old school take and looks like a lost early 90s adventure, and it's shaping up well.

An independent Argentinian studio did a KS for an adventure based on the graphic novel The Adventures of Dog Mendoca and Pizza Boy, which has since been picked up by a publisher, expanded, and should be coming out later this year. This one hasn't been talked about as much but it looks very good.

Search for: