Bafitis
Post subject: Flyers???
Post Posted: Aug 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Is there anyone that has the time as well as the talent to make a Good Looking Flyer that we can print out and post up at our local game stores once the Site for TCM is up and running???

You can either post it to the Web where we can go and just print it off or make it into a PDF file or something that we can download or pass around through email and print when needed...

It would help spread the word with people who might play games of this nature, but don't really bother to search the web for sites... But if we give it to them direct with a Flyer they might be more likely to check it out...

Just A Thought...

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...

Demonlawyer
Post subject: Re: Flyers???
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 5:01 am

Cub has been known to be pretty good at making posters and those logos below people's names.

Maybe he's our man here.

David

Bafitis
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 4:16 pm

If he has the time, that would be great... We just need to wait for some more graphics surrounding the game to come out... And we'll need the Web Address for the site once it is ready, I believe James said the date they are aiming for is the 1st of September...

If no one comes up with one, I'll make up something basic for use around my local game stores, but I just thought it would attract more attention if it was nice and Flashy to catch peoples eyes...

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

lotus_j
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 5:43 pm

No offense but maybe you should wait and see what their plans are for distribution before you assume that flyers will be needed.

Bafitis
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:54 pm

No Offense in return, but maybe you should have read AC's Thread about TCM... He asked this Community to Spread the Word...

AC wrote:
As I said in earlier messages, I hope everyone here will join us in a grass roots blitz, starting around September 1st, to invade any and all online game forums and spread the word about TCM.

I see no reason why it would be Harmful to spread the word in Local game stores of where we all live...

lotus_j
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Bafitis wrote:
No Offense in return, but maybe you should have read AC's Thread about TCM... He asked this Community to Spread the Word...

AC wrote:
As I said in earlier messages, I hope everyone here will join us in a grass roots blitz, starting around September 1st, to invade any and all online game forums and spread the word about TCM.

I see no reason why it would be Harmful to spread the word in Local game stores of where we all live...

Because a "flyer," that the game store doesn't ask for is a good way to piss off the store. The employees of those stores however go to those forums ALL the time. If you're helping hype the game on forums then you'll get their attention and they will hype the game to their clients.

Trust me I've interacted with a lot of the managers of those stores... perhaps asking Jen her opinion would be smart too. It's just my opinion that getting the attention of those stores is a lot easier through the internet than by putting up flyers that could annoy them.

If you're talking about handing them flyers and asking them to hand them out... that is even tougher. For one places like Game Stop have rules against such things.

So you need to get the attention of the employees. They are huge nerds and if you get them they'll hype it up to their favorite clients.

Bafitis
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:29 pm

lotus_j wrote:
Because a "flyer," that the game store doesn't ask for is a good way to piss off the store.

For Pete's sake, of course you ask permission before you hang up the Flyers or even maybe ask the store to put one in the bag when someone buys a game... I'm not talking about the Employees, I'm talking about the Customers, employees can get too busy to remember to mention it to all the clients... I don't want them to mention it just to their Elite/Favorite Customers, I want everyone to know, not just who the employees deem worthy...
Just because people play games, doesn't mean they spend time surfing the web for anything new... Some people's only choice of games are what they see on the shelves and the cover of magazines...

lotus_j wrote:
If you're talking about handing them flyers and asking them to hand them out... that is even tougher. For one places like Game Stop have rules against such things.
Please pay attention to the Italics in the first sentence... Not trying to argue over this...
I know that Game Stop doesn't have rules against it, at least not the Franchises around here... Because I've seen flyers in the store and in the windows that didn't even have to do with gaming... It's all in the approach and all in the Manager/Owner of the store/franchise... I'll go around and see if I can find any throughout the week, but I've seen flyers posted for community meetings, local little league football games, among other sports, and other things... I don't see why they would turn down a Game Flyer... Like I said, those are stores around here, maybe they are a little more uptight in other areas... For the most part I've never noticed flyers bothering anyone around here... Granted not all places are alike... I'm sure some do have issues against such things, doesn't hurt for people to try... The worst answer that can be given is the answer "No"... So you move on...
There are other game stores besides Game Stop as well...
Besides, you don't even have to do it in Just Game Stores... You can post at the Local Supermarkets, those places let people post anything as long as it isn't obscene... If the Flyer is created right, Maybe we can pull some Non-Gamers into the Gaming World...

I'm not saying it's something that everyone has to try... It's a simple suggestion and it would be nice if someone with talent in graphic design would create it... I myself would consider putting it in the local papers around town... Not saying everyone needs to do that, I'm sure not everyone can afford to do that, but I know people at the local papers around here...

Jen is more than welcome to comment on the Thread, that's why it is here... I've seen some of Jen's work, I'd love it if she got involved in the design of the it... But I'm not sure who on the boards has the time... Also we need to wait for the Web Address along with some more Graphics...

lotus_j
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:05 am

Bafitis wrote:
I know that Game Stop doesn't have rules against it, at least not the Franchises around here... Because I've seen flyers in the store and in the windows that didn't even have to do with gaming... It's all in the approach and all in the Manager/Owner of the store/franchise...

Game Stop as a franchise has rules against advertising games that aren't supplied by the company. What this means is that if the corporation doesn't supply the store with a poster or flyer then they can't supply them. It's a no competition clause. Why do they have this clause?

BECAUSE COMPANIES PAY THEM TO ADVERTISE THEIR PRODUCT.

Here is another shocker for you... everything is for sale there, Best Buy, etc. They sell the best product placement in their stores. Otherwise your stuff is just grouped in with every other new release. It is amazing what weird things are "advertising expenses," for publishers.

If it has nothing to do with games as you suggested then there is no problem at all. You may even be able to get a store to break the rules. However unless their contracts have changed since 99 then they definitely do have that clause.

I've got no problem with flyers being posted up around a town. Having game stores hand them out is the problem. Just wait and see how the game is being distributed. If it has an aggressive publisher, the publisher is likely going to do something with the game stores.

Still the employees of those stores CAN be good to win over because they see hundreds of people a week. Converting one employee who converts his whole store to get excited about it is worth more in sales than a flyer slapped all over a city. Don't under estimate the nerd who works at a Game Stop or store like it.

I mentioned Jen because she used to be involved with a large software store chain. She may have a good idea for marketing the game that won't cause issues.

Bafitis
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:30 am

That's fine, but some towns, that are rather small, don't bother with those little clauses, because regional managers rarely come around if there aren't any problems reported, because it's just too much out of their way... Granted they might dispose of the Flyers if they know a Regional Manager is coming, but the plus side would be that it was still there for a little while...
Like I said, there is no harm in asking... If they say no, then you just deal with places like Supermarkets and drugstores and the like... Along with small local papers that are pretty much just flyers themselves with a few local stories listed...

I know plenty of the employees at the 2 local Game Stops and the other 3 stores we have around here, they haven't really changed in years, with the exception of some part time teenagers... Converting them shouldn't be a problem... In fact the last time I was in there inquiring about one of the new Dracula releases I ended up turning the topic to Tex Murphy he was beyond interested, we spent about 20 minutes talking about the series... I mentioned this website, not sure if he ever bothered to come check it out, but if I go in there with a little more push I'm sure I could swing him...

As for Mom-N-Pop stores, we still have them about a dime a dozen around here and they'll let you post anything on their little corkboards next to the entrance... On top of that, my Son is involved in a some local sports and things, there are hundreds of kids that come from other areas just because the Local Recreation Council is one of the better ones around... We have some people who drive a half hour just so their kids can play with our teams... Spreading the word through there would be like California's Wildfires...

There are always ways to {in the words of Larry The Cable Guy} Get-R-Done... I'm sure those of us here can find our own ways in our communities...

lotus_j
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2008 1:42 am

I'm all for helping point out the best grass root techniques... but in all honesty winning over the nerds in the game stores is critical. Flyers plastered around college campuses is always smart.

Yet getting the game sites to promote the game is probably the biggest thing to do. Our site is relatively small in comparison (it only gets around 100,000 unique visitors a week) to the big game sites. Plus our site just added games recently. So it's a new environment. That isn't going to stop us from hyping it up though.

Demonlawyer
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2008 11:50 am

Geez I've not even read most of this but for what it's worth, I was thinking of handing stuff to friends and encouraging them and family to support this, not to run into shops and start flyposting walls in town.

David

lotus_j
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Demonlawyer wrote:
Geez I've not even read most of this but for what it's worth, I was thinking of handing stuff to friends and encouraging them and family to support this, not to run into shops and start flyposting walls in town.

Which is likely what was meant by starting a grass roots campaign. The other kind of campaign can back fire.

Demonlawyer
Post Posted: Aug 19, 2008 1:45 pm

at least we agree! :P

David

Search for: