Jim1Walker
Post subject: All Tex Murphy Games
Post Posted: Oct 22, 2008 11:39 am

H.E.L.P.......I have all the Tex murphy games. I updated my computerand guess what They will not play in Vista or XP. I am willing to build a new computer for these games. Could some knowledgable person tell me what I want to run these games. I have :
Mean Streets
Martian Memorandum
Under a killing moon
Pandora Directive
Overseer
and come Nov I will definately get the new one "Three Cards to Midnight".
Oh if only I could have a computer that I could play on.
HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jim Walker
j-walker@charter.net

Sowden
Post subject: Re: All Tex Murphy Games
Post Posted: Oct 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Hey there Jim. Since this is your first post on the board, I would like to welcome you to our community. You should stick around and post more often.

Now regarding your technical problems. There is a sub board on the main page called "Tex Support." If you look through some of the threads there, you can find tons of posts of people who are having trouble and had their problems solved. You can find the board here:

http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=3

I hope that helps. Later man.

"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net

Bafitis
Post Posted: Oct 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Welcome to the Boards...

There are a couple of members on this board that can help with your problems... First and foremost is Nilo his website should give you everything you need... If not there is another member DrPaul who can put 4 of the 5 onto a flash drive or at least explain to you how to do it... Check out Nilo's Website and read through his instructions...

This is Nilo's site... He gives very detailed instructions on how to make the games work on the newer operating systems... If you need more help after this, check through the Tex Support Forum on this message board, there are many, many, many answers in there...

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Good Luck... With the help that is available on this message board alone and Nilo's website, you should be up and running in a short amount of time...

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...

simon1234
Post Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:40 am

Well yeah it is possible to run them ix XP/VISTA but it can eat a lot of nerves. For playing Tex Murphy and other oldys i use an old computer. I have no problem running any game at all. You can get an old PC like this very cheap. All you need is actually Pentium II/III, some 3D grapich card and an DOS sound card (sound blaster 16/awe 32 compatibile). Use windows 95/98 and basicly you will have no problems at all.

Bafitis
Post Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:44 am

simon1234 wrote:
Well yeah it is possible to run them ix XP/VISTA but it can eat a lot of nerves. For playing Tex Murphy and other oldys i use an old computer. I have no problem running any game at all. You can get an old PC like this very cheap. All you need is actually Pentium II/III, some 3D grapich card and an DOS sound card (sound blaster 16/awe 32 compatibile). Use windows 95/98 and basicly you will have no problems at all.

That's definitely the way to go, use an older computer, but most people don't have the space or money to have a second machine to hook up for the oldies that we love so much... Damn Technology and Modernization to hell... :lol:

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

simon1234
Post Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:01 am

Bafitis wrote:
simon1234 wrote:

That's definitely the way to go, use an older computer, but most people don't have the space or money to have a second machine to hook up for the oldies that we love so much... Damn Technology and Modernization to hell... :lol:

Yea i know i mean they could make things compatibile (it's possible) but they don't brother.

My setup:
Pentium II MMX 400 MHz
256 Mb RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 64 Mb RAM
Sound Blaster 16
Windows 98

Everthing works perfectly. :D

Bafitis
Post Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:40 pm

I've got a system close to that setup... I don't have it hooked up right now, it's sitting in the basement, patiently waiting... lol

i'm_melting_i'm_melting
Post Posted: Nov 01, 2008 12:20 pm

Don't forget the music! The MIDI in these games is part of their atmosphere.

I recommend a Roland Sound Canvas (SC-55, or better, an SC-88 if you can afford it) for UKM, PD and Overseer (although I use a Yamaha XG card for Overseer) and a Roland MT-32 or CM-32L for Martian Memorandum.

If you only get one - get a Roland SC-88. This module excels at jazz/electronica and plays GM/GS MIDI files very well. It also has a CM-64 mode you can activate for Martian Memorandum and a "SC-55 MAP" mode for games that need 100% Sound Canvas compatibility, like TFX.

plumgas
Post Posted: Nov 01, 2008 7:06 pm

some time ago I set up an old pc for tex games, mainly for UAKM & pandora. Found the dos drivers for dos but then I came across a problem with loading the cd images. Nothing works under dos. Tried the cd\dvd installer but as some of the files had been changed it wouldn't work under dos.

The best option is just use dos box for xp or vista, the games work fine.

Lynne
tex murphy is back in town

simon1234
Post Posted: Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am

plumgas wrote:
some time ago I set up an old pc for tex games, mainly for UAKM & pandora. Found the dos drivers for dos but then I came across a problem with loading the cd images. Nothing works under dos. Tried the cd\dvd installer but as some of the files had been changed it wouldn't work under dos.

The best option is just use dos box for xp or vista, the games work fine.

Yes, running DOS can be complicated. And even better option than running XP or Vista is to have Windows 95/98. No emulation needed there. :wink:

plumgas
Post Posted: Nov 02, 2008 4:43 pm

having 98 does not help, you need full dos . Pandora & UAKM was written for dos not windows.
thats why dos box is the only option as they guys who developed it have done all the hard work for you.

Lynne
tex murphy is back in town

simon1234
Post Posted: Nov 03, 2008 7:12 am

plumgas wrote:
having 98 does not help, you need full dos . Pandora & UAKM was written for dos not windows.
thats why dos box is the only option as they guys who developed it have done all the hard work for you.

Win 95/98 (not ME tough) have full DOS. When you run PD or UAKM it says that it will restart in DOS mode and it works good there. But i also use dos box on my newer machine.

Search for: