Post new topic    Reply to topic

Bafitis
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 25, 2008 8:45 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Feb 17, 2008 12:11 am
Posts: 5455
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

lotus_j wrote:
No need to pay top dollar unless you're a collector looking for a pretty shrink wrapped box with no plans of opening the box.


Which a lot of Us Own and others are in search for...

_________________

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...

  Profile  
 
adninsreaction
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Jan 24, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 605
Location: Evansville, IN

lotus_j wrote:
My whole point is simply if all you're interested in is the GAME, then it can be found on the internet (Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum) as they're abandon ware.

No need to pay top dollar unless you're a collector looking for a pretty shrink wrapped box with no plans of opening the box.



I understand your point completely. And this shouldn't be a "but" statement...you know....like if I were to respond with "I agree...you can get the game easily just to play, but I want to collect the originals to have."

Both points are very well spoken and noted. We all know we don't have to pay ridiculous ebay prices just to enjoy tex murphy. however, if you want to collect the games, then you will have to pay those prices.

End of discussion. :o)

_________________

"Some men aren’t looking for anything logical. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

  Profile  
 
lotus_j
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:05 pm
Offline
Joined: Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 258

adninsreaction wrote:
lotus_j wrote:
My whole point is simply if all you're interested in is the GAME, then it can be found on the internet (Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum) as they're abandon ware.

No need to pay top dollar unless you're a collector looking for a pretty shrink wrapped box with no plans of opening the box.



I understand your point completely. And this shouldn't be a "but" statement...you know....like if I were to respond with "I agree...you can get the game easily just to play, but I want to collect the originals to have."

Both points are very well spoken and noted. We all know we don't have to pay ridiculous ebay prices just to enjoy tex murphy. however, if you want to collect the games, then you will have to pay those prices.

End of discussion. :o)


I'm just wanting to save people money who are looking for the games to PLAY.

I understand you collectors.

It's just most people don't know the games are free and downloadable LEGALLY.

  Profile  
 
adninsreaction
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:30 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Jan 24, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 605
Location: Evansville, IN

Oh yeah...you're right about that. Most people are clueless to that. Which is why we have this wonderful community to help everyone get on the right track.

_________________

"Some men aren’t looking for anything logical. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

  Profile  
 
Bafitis
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Feb 17, 2008 12:11 am
Posts: 5455
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

I've always owned them, so I wasn't aware that they had been classified as Abandonware... I was under the impression that they were still copyrighted just like the other 3...

_________________

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...

  Profile  
 
lotus_j
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:30 pm
Offline
Joined: Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 258

Bafitis wrote:
I've always owned them, so I wasn't aware that they had been classified as Abandonware... I was under the impression that they were still copyrighted just like the other 3...


Abandonware is software that hasn't been published in X years (I believe 7) and the company that owns the rights has done nothing to defend them. Many games fall under that category.

However a lot of games don't. Many companies like LucasArts release a version of some sort every X years and defend their copyright.

The copyright is there, it just wasn't defended for X years. Thus the term abandoned.

Many abandon ware sites put titles up just to see if they will hear anything. If they never do it's abandoned.

  Profile  
 
Bafitis
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:57 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Feb 17, 2008 12:11 am
Posts: 5455
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

I don't feel that copyrights should expire myself... But whatever... Maybe we as a community should buy the rights from Take-2... :lol:

_________________

The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...


Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...

  Profile  
 
lotus_j
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:44 pm
Offline
Joined: Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 258

Bafitis wrote:
I don't feel that copyrights should expire myself... But whatever... Maybe we as a community should buy the rights from Take-2... :lol:


Well you can't. They're abandoned. It's free to the public now. The copyright didn't expire. It was abandoned. Meaning that X had its copyright violated. A owns the rights. A ignored the violation repeatedly to the point that it was considered abandoned.

Personally I have no issues with it. The games aren't for sale now. So for the person wanting to go through DOSBOX hassles, they can download the games, play them, and enjoy them.

You guys paying absurd prices for a collection, that doesn't go to the creators either. In fact ordering on E-Bay copies of UAKM, PD, and OverSeer don't go to the pockets of Take 2 or the creators. So what DrPaul is doing (sending the games to people who send him flashcards) is fine with me too.

If we should be trying to do anything it's contacting Take 2 and convincing them to port UAKM, PD, and Overseer to XP/360/PS3/whatever. The limited money for XP & 360 would be well worth it, imho.

  Profile  
 
Fred Buer
Post subject: Re: Looking for boxed PC games
Post Posted: Aug 31, 2008 4:18 pm
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Jun 07, 2005 6:57 pm
Posts: 3956
Location: Porsgrunn, Norway

Buy or trade, hm? Well, I gots some good loots up for trade. Lemme hear from ya what you're primarily interested in, alright?

Mebbe we can score a deal.

-Fred

_________________

Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!

  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Post new topic    Reply to topic
Search for:
All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 3 of 3
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
cron