Plan 9 - Finally! An Announcement!

Strange thing how an announcement regarding a video-game can set feelings in motion :wink: I feel just like I did as a kid the day before Christmas. Fabulous news!

Another strange thing is the big number of friends up here in Norway that actually knows about Tex and (of course) UAKM. We are talking about a game released in the early 90's with NO PR or advertising what so ever! (at least that I know of)
I will spread this news everywhere I go, and without a doubt, be donating!!

Thanks for keeping up the good work, Chris!
- Danger's like jello, there's always room for more.
There was some advertising here in Canada and the US, but not much more than standard demos that come with a gaming magazine and some trailers.

I remember most people who liked Martian Memorandum went out and got UAKM and its popularity spread to new fans through word of mouth because the game was so damn revolutionary. There was nothing like it at the time. The closest thing was Myst and it was all still shots. No one had full motion 3d environments like this other than primitive FPS' like Wolfenstein. Doom came after too. The environments in that game seemed on par to quake which came years later.

And the story was one of the best game stories out there at the time.

Then you had Pandora, which blew it out of the water in every way. I am hoping they get the money they need to make a branching game like Pandora. It will be amazing. Tex deserves to return to his former glory.

Games seem to be going the way of fashion.. all the old genres and trends seem to be coming back and are being revitalized because the publishers just kept copying and rehashing all the same old stuff til it got stale. It's a new beginning for the adventure genre and i see it coming back. Maybe they can hook the younger generation with these new games too.
Matt
This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! CJ & AC, you should make more Tex youtube videos!
Capricorn wrote:Another strange thing is the big number of friends up here in Norway that actually knows about Tex and (of course) UAKM. We are talking about a game released in the early 90's with NO PR or advertising what so ever! (at least that I know of)
lestat666 wrote:There was some advertising here in Canada and the US, but not much more than standard demos that come with a gaming magazine and some trailers.
I don't remember seeing any big advertising in the UK either, though I could of missed stuff like demos/trailers as I didn't read any PC gaming magazines at the time. I stumbled across Under A Killing Moon in a bargain bin at a small independent games shop, I feel lucky that I found it. Of course I bought the rest of the series when they were released based on my great enjoyment of UAKM. :D
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I played bits and pieces of Martian Memorandum way back in the day around 1991 or so.

Years later when I was in high school in about 1996, I stumbled upon UAKM at a used store. I looked at the box and couldn't believe it used real actors. (yes the box came with it) The graphics looked great and I was all about sci fi, so i convinced my dad to pick it up for 15 bucks.

It even had a printed out walkthrough in it which I thought was a bonus. I tried not to use it as much as possible, but the fact it was in there was kind of cool. Also had the manual.

I fell in love instantly and ended up pre ordering Pandora. Then when I found out it dealt with Roswell and aliens, I was in heaven, being a huge X-files fan.

It is by far one of the best Adventure games I have ever played, along with Blade Runner, as far as serious games go. The best comedic ones, hands down, are Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.
Matt
Hey another person who played the Blade Runner game, cool! :D
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Oh yeah Sai, another one is right here :)
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
I'm excited enough that Chris has an account and is posting with it. :shock:

Seriously, though, it's his charm that made me fall in love with this series. :oops:
Loved the Blade Runner game!
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
Yes the Blade Runner game was awesome... I still have it on CDs...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
After watching everyone's cool Textimonial videos I'd like to make my own, but I'm not terribly savvy with video. All I've got is Windows Movie Maker. Any easy to use video program recommendations that are $20 or less out there? (Saving my dough to contribute to the Kickstarter campaign.) And how would I insert some shots of video from the game? I noticed several people did that. Any tips would be great - otherwise I'll just wing it. :) Thanks!
Cathy
I used Windows Movie Maker to edit my video and used Flash to make graphics and titles-- but using WMM alone should be enough. It's your words that matter.

To get game clips, I used DOSBOX and the Camstudio screen recording software, which is free.
Thanks for the Camstudio info Joliet Jane! Hopefully it will be amusing if anything.
Cathy
Camstudio eh. I'm going to try to record the Pandora Directive Demo with that.
What will the minimum pledge be for the download of the game?

That seems to make up the majority of the funding for kickstarter project.

Considering that there aren't as many fans of UAKM as some of the other high profile games on kickstarter, I suggest the minimum should be higher than the norm. People normally set it at $15....I think it should be at LEAST $30-$40?

I'm sure everyone on this site would pay at least that?