Black Sun Ascending??

I just read something on the alcatraz site about something Tex-related called "A Black Sun Ascending", though the news was back in 2003 apparently. I couldn't find anything about it aside from a summary. Anyone know what ever happened to this project?

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/la ... frmain.htm
I think it just kind of petered out. It never seemed to be too much of a certainty by the way that it was talked about, was skimming the old board and the "Ask Aaron" section for some other info and the answers about this film was that it was still being discussed in "smoke-filled rooms". I think perhaps they may of not had the budget, but Aaron or someone else may know for sure. Perhaps the studios would still like to do it, but don't have the money to risk it... It's a shame though, they really should make a Tex Murphy film. Forget that it was a FMV game (since a film made from a game may still stir speculation on quality), a comedy detective film, in the vein of The Pink Panther but with a bit more of a serious overtone, would be a fresh change.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
'A Black Sun Ascending' was to be the title of the Pandora Diractive if it were to ever be made into a film.

Shortly after the game was made, Aaron and Chris made a few strides towards a film based on the game, but they figured that by the time the film was released the whole Roswell and UFO interest would've worn off in the public's interest so they abandoned the idea.

This is taken from what Aaron has told us in past chat sessions.

I think it is a great title for a film... but I still think Under a Killing Moon is the best title... and I also think the UAKM novel would be the basis of an amazing film if ever one was produced. It has a very cinematic feel.

-Cub. =o)
and I also think the UAKM novel would be the basis of an amazing film if ever one was produced. It has a very cinematic feel.
Yeah, but the basic plot of the 1979 James Bond film "Moonraker" was very similar to UAKM.
DrPaul wrote:
and I also think the UAKM novel would be the basis of an amazing film if ever one was produced. It has a very cinematic feel.
Yeah, but the basic plot of the 1979 James Bond film "Moonraker" was very similar to UAKM.
You're right! I wonder if Aaron and Chris took it as inspiration.
Never too late for coffee, never too early for beer.
From the old ezboard Ask Aaron section:
John Moody wrote:oh and if you have seen this movie what do you think of it?
plan 10 from outer space :)
Spatch wrote:The 1979 James Bond flick "Moonraker" had some very similar elements to the UAKM storyline -- e.g. diabolical villain, diabolical henchmen, orbiting space station, plot to destroy mankind, plot to "re-seed" the earth with only the best human genetic stuff, etc. etc. etc.
Aaron Conners wrote:"Plan 10" was the genesis of the Tex Murphy character and was an homage to Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space". Chris Jones has always had a bizarre and somewhat unhealthy fascination with ultra-low budget movies. This is one reason why Killing Moon was so campy.

As for the similarities between the plots of Killing Moon and Moonraker, believe it or not I'd never seen Moonraker (and still haven't). I'm not a huge James Bond fan and I especially don't care for Roger Moore's portrayal. I was honestly shocked when the similarities were pointed out to me after the game was done.
Full thread: here
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I used to have their Plan 10 video. Years ago it got posted to Chris Marsland's site, I think, for a limited time. Maybe it was just hosted elsewhere, but I found the link on his old forum.