Overseer Save Games Request

I recently bought all the old Tex Murphy games from Mean Streets to Overseer. DOS BOX made it possible to easily play all the games without any issues at all (well only on Day 3 of PD, but so far no problems). Overseer however has numerous known issues.

It is my suggestion that someone who has a system that is capable of bypassing the known issues make a "Save file," and ask this site or Nilo's site to host them for downloads.

I for instance can't play the game past the Anasazi Bridge scene. Switching to software rendering helped me get past the 1st bridge cut scene. However, it locks up in software rendering mode when I try and use the ladder and goes all black. I've tried just about everything and nothing works. I've downloaded other save games from Nilo, but his next save seems to be far past the bridge scene. He has one save exactly right before the bridge scene and then one past the Circuit board puzzle. That is nice for people incapable of solving puzzles but what about all the people who pop up here and ask "how do I get past X glitch."

If there were save files immediately after each one of these glitches that would be a quick fix for them.

So if someone capable of playing the game could make those that would rock. I personally would like to finish Overseer as it's the only Tex game I never played before (I was always a huge fan, but I wanted a DVD drive first, and by the time that happened....)
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Nilo is one of our most respected members in the Tech Field, especially when it comes to getting Tex to run on almost any machine... Check out his website and see what you can find... He has been quite busy lately, but hopefully he will join us again soon...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Bafitis wrote:http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Nilo is one of our most respected members in the Tech Field, especially when it comes to getting Tex to run on almost any machine... Check out his website and see what you can find... He has been quite busy lately, but hopefully he will join us again soon...
I'm pretty good at that stuff myself. I got by one glitch (the first cut scene) but can't get by the 2nd and I've tried just about everything I know. The fact is that these glitches aren't going to get better over night. They will continue to exist. It seems to be public knowledge on the Tex community that certain glitches at certain points exist. If there was a save game IMMEDIATELY after each known glitch you would have a simple solution to give people. An easy one too.

I think my request isn't a bad one.
Nilo has Saved games for UAKM, PD, and Overseer... So he might have what you are looking for... He has 22 saved games for Overseer, 66 for PD, and 37 for UAKM...

His Download files for Pandora and UAKM have worked just fine for me with no problems... I haven't gotten around to trying Overseer yet, but he has Downloads for that as well... Nilo's downloads already have the Patches integrated into them...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Bafitis wrote:Nilo has Saved games for UAKM, PD, and Overseer... So he might have what you are looking for... He has 22 saved games for Overseer, 66 for PD, and 37 for UAKM...

His Download files for Pandora and UAKM have worked just fine for me with no problems... I haven't gotten around to trying Overseer yet, but he has Downloads for that as well... Nilo's downloads already have the Patches integrated into them...
Seriously could you READ my posts before replying? You obviously didn't read my first post at all. If you had you'd notice my mention of Nilo and his site and his save games being vastly inadequate and why.
I've never had to use Nilo's Saved games, so I don't know where they put you in the game...
No need to become defensive, but I don't see where you mention Nilo's Saved games... Nor do you mention that you've tried them... Only Nilo could answer whether or not his Saved games put you past known Glitches, but if memory serves, I think he stated just that to someone else looking for saved games due to glitches...
I'm sorry you feel I'm being more of a problem than a helper, I'll leave your thread for someone else to suggest possible solutions...
Welcome to the board, the last thing I want to give is a bad impression of how things are around here... This is a very giving and supportive community...

Bafitis wrote:I've never had to use Nilo's Saved games, so I don't know where they put you in the game...
No need to become defensive, but I don't see where you mention Nilo's Saved games... Nor do you mention that you've tried them... Only Nilo could answer whether or not his Saved games put you past known Glitches, but if memory serves, I think he stated just that to someone else looking for saved games due to glitches...
I'm sorry you feel I'm being more of a problem than a helper, I'll leave your thread for someone else to suggest possible solutions...
Welcome to the board, the last thing I want to give is a bad impression of how things are around here... This is a very giving and supportive community...
Try READING the original post. It's stated in there. I asked you to not reply without reading it. So what do you do? You reply without reading it. Please follow through on your statement and quit posting in this thread.

I also don't want solutions to glitches. I want SAVED GAMES immediately past them so future people don't have to mess with it and can just bypass the glitches vs trying to work past them.
Please be kind to mr. Bafitis as he has a tendency to put his foot where his mouth should be. It's his way of simulating the true Tex Murphy experience. Comes off a bit abrasive at times.

But I can tell you he didn't mean any harm. Now. Savegames. I'm sure m'sieur Nilo can help with that, when he feels better. He's been through a bit lately.

Including a 24 oz steak! *Envy*

So. Patience.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Well after a lot of messing around I came up with a solution that allowed me to get past the Anasazi bridge sequence and SAVE THE GAME. So we have one save game from one of the potential spots that could frustrate the hell out of people. It was a way that took advantage of the "auto restart in last spot," feature that got me by a few hiccups in PD.

It is a variation of the normal "fix," that people suggested. I changed the hardware rendering in preferences to software THEN changed the DVD codec to the "standard Mpeg-2" setting (making it impossible to play the video scene). The game still crashed after putting the ladder on the right spot, however it skipped the video sequence and then crashed. Which made the "start game off at last spot?" actually start me just after the bridge sequence. So I was able to save the game!

What a PITA. Good news is we now have a Save Game that is just after the first known major bug spot. As soon as I can get past the other one I'll send them to James and have him host them to "help," people get by spots that are just absurdly annoying.
I have given up mostly on the dvd version of the game due to the crashes. I have swapped to the cd just before the ladder & then gone back to the dvd. However using the cd disks & burned to dvd works great with no crashes whats so ever.

You did turn the midi off in rxd sound I assume.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
you know I now have save games before and after each crash spot, and I'll pull the video that people may miss out for viewing too. That way I can provide James with the saves AND the video footage people may miss from the bugs.

Still this is one of the best FMVs ever made, if not the greatest. Their ability to seamlessly integrate the FMV into the computer graphical environments is top notch. The quality of the footage is amazing as well. It's not just DVD quality it's GOOD DVD quality. These guys were really pushing the envelope.
I'm glad you are enjoying the game. I prefer pandora as tex has that bit humor that cracks you up. I like how it's easier to move around with the game curser in overseer. It will be good if some of the guys are able to revamp the games to run under xp & vista.

Since the news of three cards to midnight a lot of people are replaying tex murphy & it's also sparked a few interests with new players to the series.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
plumgas wrote:I'm glad you are enjoying the game. I prefer pandora as tex has that bit humor that cracks you up. I like how it's easier to move around with the game curser in overseer. It will be good if some of the guys are able to revamp the games to run under xp & vista.

Since the news of three cards to midnight a lot of people are replaying tex murphy & it's also sparked a few interests with new players to the series.
I was talking greatest on a technical level. For pure game it's either UAKM or PD. There are aspects of both that I love.
I enjoyed all 3 of them... Pandora is my favorite without question, but I think they are all great games... If I had to pick an order it would be Pandora, UAKM, and then Overseer... Overseer lost a little something that the other two had, but I still enjoyed the game...

Technical Level, they were all well ahead of their times...