Overseer from GOG

Hi, Tex fans
My name is Brad - I'm a new guy to the message boards of this great website.
I could use a little info on Overseer. I know that GOG has it for sale on its website, but is it the original Overseer that comes in the DVD version as well as the CD version? I hope that isn't a stupid question, because the only Tex games I've played are UAKM and The Pandora Directive and they were both run from Dosbox. So, I'm really not familiar with how Overseer would work because I understand it cannot be run from Dosbox, or can it? I'm an older guy and I'm not afraid to admit that I had my troubles trying to get UAKM and The Pandora Directive to run from Dosbox. But thanks to Nilos Place website I was able to get both games to run. And I'm sure I could get Overseer to run if it was from the CD's or the DVD. I just can't seem to understand how it could run without the CD's or the DVD? I would really appreciate it if someone could please explain this to me. I've tried to contact Nilo through his website, but I haven't heard back from him.
Thanks you!
Brad Bech
Hey Brad,
To answer your specific question it's the CD version of Overseer that's on GOG.

Basically what GOG did was rip all the data from the original CDs of UAKM, Pandora, and Overseer and bundle each of them with DOSBox.

So now when you buy the games from GOG, you will be downloading all the files that were originally on the CDs so it will be a large download. You'll be able to play the game without having to swap discs like before. The entire game is accessible now from the new bundled download.

It does make life a lot easier. No more fiddling with settings and trying to install two programs and get them to talk to each other. So basically they did all the hard part for you and you can now enjoy the fruits of their labor for $10.

I hope that clarifies things for you. The original game creators Chris Jones and Aaron Conners do get a cut of the profits if you buy their games from GOG.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Thank you kindly, Samantha
You have answered my question and then some. And I will be downloading it from GOG.

Thanks, again
Brad
just need to clarify all the games were written under dos so they need dos box which gog include in the installer but overseer does not run on dos box as it is a window based game.
It plays very well under xp,vista or win 7
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
True. The main advantage of buying Overseer from GOG is you don't have to do disc swapping. For UAKM and PD you get the extra advantage of the DOSbox bundle.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Hi

Is there a way to get the same version of Overseer from GOG, but in german?

Is it possible that i can convert my CD version of UAKM to a DVD?
no its only in english
Lynne
Thank you for the answer.
What is with this?
Is it possible that i can convert my CD version of UAKM to a DVD?
http://www.adamhearn.co.uk/games/texmur ... r_v1.3.zip

this is the installer to convert all the cd's to a dvd disk. do a full install from the dvd disk,
its not designed to play from the dvd disk however
Lynne
Thank you.
Only one question please. I not understand it.
After i make the DVD then i cant play with it and i have the CD switching again?
Sorry if this is a stupid question. My englich is not so good.
No you convert all the cd's to a dvd & you use this to install a hard disk version on your pc.
You then don't have cd swapping and the game should run a lot smoother.

just copy your player & game files from your pc & then do a new installation from the dvd disk you have just created. there is a readme file with the installer. you should also have dos box installation on your pc .

anymore questions feel free to ask
Lynne
Thank you very much vor the help
Using this same topic to ask another question.

I have both the original DVD, as well as the downloadable game available on gog. Does anyone know if Overseer has been upgraded to DVD on gog? I heard they were trying to fix this. In either case, what is the difference between the DVD and CD-version. I assume that it is only higher definition on the DVD, and that's it. In that case, does anyone know how to get the original DVD running on a modern system. Does it work with dosbox, or is it simply much easier just playing the low-res version?

Thanks
There is No Game Play difference between the two... It is purely video quality... But the DVD is very flawed because it is full of glitches that were never fixed... It's very hard to get the DVD to run smoothly... I've only heard a couple of people claim to have played it without fault... I think you would need an older computer running Win95 or Win98 to get the DVD to work at all... You might get XP to run it, but since it requires DVD Express which is no longer made and no longer has updates written for it, it just makes it more and more difficult on the more updated machines...

No the version on GOG is Not the DVD, I think they abandoned the project of trying to get that to work... If I were you, I'd just stick with the GOG version and enjoy the game...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
it simply much easier just playing the low-res version?

the answer is yes .
Lynne