Overseer on Windows 10 (64 bit machine)

Hoping someone can help me as I have hit a bit of a brick wall

I have managed to get UAKM & TPD running via DosBox fine. However Overseer is a Windows game so it cannot be installed the same way

The GOG version just hangs on an 'Overseer.exe' has stopped working - I have managed to get a Direct Draw Failed error (Set Display Mode Failed) that is perhaps the closes I have been

I have tried all compatibility settings, fiddled with my NVIDEA 3D display settings, all to no avail

I have also noticed when I try to unzip the TMO Patch I get an error saying the game has not been installed correctly and the files will not unzip

I have the downloaded GOG version, the DVD files and the original physical game all to hand - unable to get any to work.

Any help would be appreciated
Reply from GOG copied below - looks like it's a no go:

I'm afraid that your operating system is not supported in this game (Windows 10). We weren't able to make the game work reliably on our test computers running that system. Because of this, this system is not listed among the compatible ones on the product page. I apologize for the inconvenience
Despite this, quite a few people have been able to get Overseer to run on Windows 10: http://www.bigfinishgames.com/overseer- ... ment-16121
I have a Windows 7 32-Bit (Mostly because I love games from the early-mid 90s) and this exact error is happening to me also. It happens to me when I play Wing Commander IV, and Jedi Knight and a couple newer games such as 007: Blood Stone. I'm fairly certain it has less to do with your operating system, and more to do with Direct X, DirectDraw and video drivers.

If anybody at all can get this thing working again, please post your solution. My fiancee is dying to see Overseer, and I don't want to skip straight to Tesla.

Overseer worked absolutely fine for me, then started giving me the black screen at startup with the audio in the background, and now it's not even giving me that. Best of luck to all troubleshooters!
Fiery Phoenix wrote:Hoping someone can help me as I have hit a bit of a brick wall

I have managed to get UAKM & TPD running via DosBox fine. However Overseer is a Windows game so it cannot be installed the same way

The GOG version just hangs on an 'Overseer.exe' has stopped working - I have managed to get a Direct Draw Failed error (Set Display Mode Failed) that is perhaps the closes I have been

I have tried all compatibility settings, fiddled with my NVIDEA 3D display settings, all to no avail

I have also noticed when I try to unzip the TMO Patch I get an error saying the game has not been installed correctly and the files will not unzip

I have the downloaded GOG version, the DVD files and the original physical game all to hand - unable to get any to work.

Any help would be appreciated
it will work on windows 10 but it needs a bit of tweaking. I have it running fine on my surface pro 4 but it needs a file which works like a virtual video card.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html use version 2.5 jan 2016.
once extracted copy the file from the MS folder into the gog folder.

this will create a video card and you see it installed in the overseer control panel instead of showing default video card. this will only fix the graphics. you should run overseer as administrator & with windows 98 compatibility mode. Please note if you try overseer through gog galazy it will not run, only run it for the downloaded exe file. the patches you installed have already been applied so it wasn't needed. the only patch you can install is the new mpg 2 decoder software but we won't worry about it as yet until you fix up this part.

not sure what pc you are trying to use so we will see if this works for you.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
A year on.....

still no joy, did try the above but can just see a quick flash of a black screen and the words dgvoodo in the corner before it exits.

Anyone confirned Overseer working on a 64bit Win 10 OS?

Many thanks
it works on windows 10 64 with dgvoodo. are you playing the gog version.
Lynne
Hi, yet it is the GOG version

Downloaded DGVoodoo again. Exctracted the file (dgVoodooSetup) and copied it to the Overseer GOG folder

Made sure running in Win 98 compatability mode. Right clicked the Oversser icon and ran as an administrator - Tex Murphy Overseer system checker loads up. I select continue....

Screen goes black, although I can see DgVoodoo in the bottom right. Then cuts back to my desktop with an Overseer.exe error message stating it has stopped working

Grrrr
you could probably install this file, it installs some of the files not installed in the later direct x versions
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ij2vqsci7d1a ... t.exe?dl=0
Lynne
Thanks for the help - but no joy

Exactly the same problem as described above - really annoying as worked fine on my old XP setup before I got a new PC. Even tried fiddling with the DGVoodoo setup - trying different variations

Recenly completed UAKM again and on to the TPD now - wanted to complete them again before I get to TE

May have to wait for the Poisoned Pawn at thss rate! Doh
I have win 10x 64 Tex Murphy Overseer (German Version).
I have made my cds a dvd and installed.(http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/mess ... +10#p65172) It starts and stops after the first video. (Black screen)

DGVoodoo did not help and compatibility mode either. directx is also updated with the version given here. I have already tried this manual, unfortunately without success. (http://bigfinishgames.com.s80428.gridse ... -worked-me)

my steam version works without problems on windows 10, but that is only in english and not in german.

I also tried to insert the german files into the steam version but unfortunately it did not work either.
it won't work as it's a 32bit installer on the cd's. it will only work on a 32bit windows.
Lynne
plumgas wrote:it won't work as it's a 32bit installer on the cd's. it will only work on a 32bit windows.
But why go then the Steam version if it s.der 64-bit. I am not the only one with 64-bit, other users can start it under 64-bit.
the gog and steam version is with the 64 installer. what you probably need to do is find the old gog cd installers before they dropped it for the dvd version. I think I have them have somewhere. will let you know.
Lynne
the mistake was in the tex.ini

(Original) LockVideo=-1
(New) LockVideo=1

it works

i just need a german nocd crack for my newly created overseer dvd.