Mean Streets for Commodore 64-128

Last edited by Electron Stu on June 28, 2008 • 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can anyone verify that Mean Streets was on the Commodore 64-128? I saw it for sale in an auction and wanted to see if anyone knew if this was correct or not. Came in the box and everything . . . . now I just have to find it again . . . sigh

*EDIT*

Alright so I found it and just spree bought it regardless. I dunno if it's real or not (I assume it is judging by the picture but it's not always correct.) I had never heard that it was on the C64 so I will be pleasantly surprised if I can get this puppy up and running on the old C64 that I have. (Have 2 Vic 20's as well.) If anyone knows if this is common or rare feel free to let me know so I can include it in my insurance please and thanks. In the meantime if you're curious about it here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %26fvi%3D1

Enjoy, I know I will! . . . . . if it is indeed a real item that is.
Electron Stu wrote:Can anyone verify that Mean Streets was on the Commodore 64-128? I saw it for sale in an auction and wanted to see if anyone knew if this was correct or not. Came in the box and everything . . . . now I just have to find it again . . . sigh
Yes, it does. I have a copy. It has the same artwork as the MS-Dos version. Only the Amiga that I know of has the "Val Kilmer" box. :mrgreen:
Hey Jen, you were too quick for me. You responded while I was editing the post. Thanks for the varification though!

*EDIT AGAIN*

Actually Jen, have you had any success getting it to run on the Ol' Commodore? I am curious what had to be typed to get the game running? I have long forgotten how to use the old computers . . . or did you get it working?
Jen wrote:
Electron Stu wrote:Can anyone verify that Mean Streets was on the Commodore 64-128? I saw it for sale in an auction and wanted to see if anyone knew if this was correct or not. Came in the box and everything . . . . now I just have to find it again . . . sigh
Yes, it does. I have a copy. It has the same artwork as the MS-Dos version. Only the Amiga that I know of has the "Val Kilmer" box. :mrgreen:
Val Kilmer Box? What ever do you me--

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/mea ... /cover-art

NOOOOOOO Image Aaaah, my eyes! Why?! Whyyyyyy...

Seriously, though, how the heck did that happen?
Maybe it was because...
joliet_jane wrote:
Jen wrote:
Val Kilmer Box? What ever do you me--

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/mea ... /cover-art

NOOOOOOO Image Aaaah, my eyes! Why?! Whyyyyyy...

Seriously, though, how the heck did that happen?
Maybe it was because...

Say it aint so!!!! :lol:

Too funny eh? And (RUMOR) has it that when scoring the soundtrack, they were looking for something bladerunneresque.

Nothing new under the sun. :mrgreen:

The earring is a nice touch dontcha think???
Jen wrote: The earring is a nice touch dontcha think???
Eegh. What the hell is going on here? The Bogart pin? The earring? The flying fudge pop? The guy who looks absolutely nothing like Tex? Yikes.
I keep trying to play Mean Streets in DosBox. It works fine, it's my playing that sucks.

When I go to see Delores LIghtbody, I have to get past those street thugs who keep shooting at me. I absolutely can't get past them. I shoot back, and as soon as one goes down I move up as much s I can. But the problem is, every time I start shooting again, Tex back up to where I started. Eventually, the bad guys always kill me and I don't even get half-way across the street.

Any advice on how to get past theses guys? Is there a cheat-code to skip the shooting scenes? This shooting thing just spoils the whole game for me. It makes is unplayable.
joliet_jane wrote:
Jen wrote: The earring is a nice touch dontcha think???
Eegh. The flying fudge pop?
HAHAHAHA!!!! Wow, that thing flew below my radar until you mentioned it.

Too funny!
:D
DrPaul wrote: Any advice on how to get past theses guys? Is there a cheat-code to skip the shooting scenes? This shooting thing just spoils the whole game for me. It makes is unplayable.
I wished there was, but really, you just have to try over and over. Be patient. You have to kneel a lot, and you just inch along, but eventually you can get there. Don't try to shoot while kneeling. It's not always effective.
You have to kneel a lot, and you just inch along, but eventually you can get there.
What do I base 'time to kneel' and 'time to stand and shoot' on? The bad guys are like always shooting. Sometimes they kneel, too. I don't last five seconds out there!
DrPaul wrote:
You have to kneel a lot, and you just inch along, but eventually you can get there.
What do I base 'time to kneel' and 'time to stand and shoot' on? The bad guys are like always shooting. Sometimes they kneel, too. I don't last five seconds out there!
Like I said, you have to be really, reeeeally, patient. Sometimes it will seem like you're advancing in pixel steps.
Just keep on shooting when it's safe to do so. There's more ammo hidden in the game, but you won't need it since these guys die instantly.

You may also be having clocking issues if you're not using DOSBOX.

I can give you my game saves, if you want.
Well, I made a little progress. I managed to get across one screen, but then I had a whole nother batch of bad guys do deal with that I wasn't expecting.

Anyway, having gotten across one screen full of bad guys gives me hope.
I never made the connection of the box art cover and Blade Runner until now. I wonder why this copied it so blatantly like that?
--------------------------------------------------
Pandora Directive Install Guide:
http://www.glennsguides.com/2007/07/cla ... ndora.html

Under A Killing Moon Install Guide:
http://www.glennsguides.com/2007/07/cla ... lling.html
--------------------------------------------------
joliet_jane wrote:
DrPaul wrote: What do I base 'time to kneel' and 'time to stand and shoot' on? The bad guys are like always shooting. Sometimes they kneel, too. I don't last five seconds out there!
You may also be having clocking issues if you're not using DOSBOX.
Today I tried playing it without an emulator with Win98, and it was simply impossible. It was going so fast, there was no chance of making it. If what I saw was what you've been seeing, you can't beat it until you slow it down somehow.
You could try using http://www.cpukiller.com
I was playing Grim Fandango and hit a snag whereby I got stuck because of my computer being too fast for it (where you needed to jump off a conveyor belt in time or you end up looping round and round). No matter what it was pretty impossible. Used cpukilller on reccomendation to fix the glitch and slow the game down and it worked very well.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy