Overseer CD problems

Hello there,
I've only recently turned onto Tex Murphy, though I owned both Overseer and Under A Killing Moon for a few years. I just never could get UAKM to run on my computers and consequently never bothered about Overseer.
Thankfully a friend made a nifty installer, so UAKM ran without any problems. And it was a lot of fun, so I thought I'd give Overseer a spin.

When I installed my CD version (Premier Collection) on my Win 7 laptop, I had to change the compatibility settings to Windows 95. I got an error message every time I entered a different area, but that could easily be clicked away. The game would jam invariably when I tried to look at the bucket in the Anasazi ruins, but fortunately that could easily be bypassed.
And then, whenever I wanted to visit Jorge Valdez, I had to put CD5 in the drive, and the game wouldn't recognize it.
Checked the CD, but there seems to be nothing wrong with it. It contains a Data folder with content, just like the others. The only difference is the CD is called Oversser 5 (instead of Overseer).

Checked out your community and thought I'd better try to install it onto my Win 98 dinosaur. It ran without error messages whatsoever... until I wanted to visit Jorge again, and it still wouldn't recognize my CD.

Is this a known error? More importantly: is there a work-around?
welcome,

if the error message is "error does not mean error" that comes up when you have got the wrong midi selected usually the default microsoft one. in overseer control panel mute midi, & you don't get the error.

I have mine going but with the selection of midi mapper. some people have changed the tex ini file to microsft midi mapper & it worked.

[MIDI]
Volume=75
Mute=No
DriverName=MIDI Mapper
****change the above line to microsoft midi mapper.
(mine is set to my creative sound card)

talking to george crash seems to be a new one.There seems to be no set place overseer crashes, people seem to have crashes in different parts of the game.

although there is 2 known crashes for people who do not mute the midi,
1. gideons gallery (midi problem)
2. crossing the chasm (dvd version)
3. crashes at times at alcatraz (midi problem)

knowing that you tried to play it on both 98 & w7 I would say that your cd has a problem.
You can download from gog for $10.00 which is a bargain as its a hard disk version. If thats too much just keep an eye out for 50% off overseer, they do this quite a bit
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Believe it or not, but what I did was:
I copied all the information onto my laptop hard drive and then burnt a new disk. The only difference being I called it OVERSEER5 (the original was called OVERSSER5).

I was very skeptical about it: normally a programme just checks whatever drive for the files it needs. More importantly, the player in my Win 98 is so incredibly bad it often doesn't read CD-Rs.

But it worked! I just finished talking with Jorge and am now frantically trying to recall where I found the sleeping pills the first time.
sounds like you do not have original disks only copies as the real copies are not named incorrectly,

the sleeping pills you will find at the warehouse
Lynne
I would say Good morning but it is evening now. Long day at the office but finally got home and had a darn great dinner with my wife and kids.
So how is everyone doing tonight?
RS Gold Runescape Gold
plumgas wrote:sounds like you do not have original disks only copies as the real copies are not named incorrectly,

Yeah I found the pills. My copy is original, it's the German Premier Collection release by Eidos. It doesn't have a DVD as far as I know but all 5 disks are in the same jewelcase. Stickers on the disks and all look like good quality.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/t ... /cover-art

The jewelcase is the dark one from the German release but the CDs are in English. I don't have the box.
I ain't much help with technical stuff as I often need a LOT of help myself! However, I would like to warmly welcome both BBP and Jewelryab to the Tex Murphy community. Don't forget to post on the General message board as well. We heartily welcome your thoughts.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
BBP wrote:
plumgas wrote:sounds like you do not have original disks only copies as the real copies are not named incorrectly,

Yeah I found the pills. My copy is original, it's the German Premier Collection release by Eidos. It doesn't have a DVD as far as I know but all 5 disks are in the same jewelcase. Stickers on the disks and all look like good quality.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/t ... /cover-art

The jewelcase is the dark one from the German release but the CDs are in English. I don't have the box.
I see I didn't know there was a premier version, dvd came with the US release which is a nightmare to run anyway.
Lynne
And somehow the directory C55 is not on the disk at all. That means I get a lot of error messages when I'm at the post office. Curious...
C55 has only 3 files I can send then to you if you want them.
Lynne
That't be cool! What CD are they normally on?
(I had to quit playing on my Win 98 because it is a bit slow scrolling around and Alcatraz C was impossible, so I did a harddrive install on my laptop again. Now I'm stuck in cellblock A, get chucked out all the time.)

Oh wait... somebody else just sent them to me. Only problem I have now on my laptop is it crashes in Alcatraz A when I face the far end (the one that hasn't got the gate to block B). MIDI is muted.