Project Wonderful Experiment

Some of you know what I've been up to already but I figured I'd make a thread instead of filling the 'main' general thread with updates about this.

For those not in the know, Project Wonderful is an ad network where websites put up ad space and you bid for the chance to advertise there.

On (Cue UAKM Day X Theme) day one I was looking for something to do since I had already donated my measly 750 and felt useless sitting here watching the number rise, or not rise depending on how quickly I was checking... Anyway, I'd remembered my wife telling me about PW so I decided to take a chance on it. I signed up and put $30 into the account as an experiment. Then I started bidding like crazy. It seemed to be doing well as of yesterday morning so I put another 30 into the account.

Here is where it stands so far...

I've spent 42.15 and have received 212 unique clicks. That is 19.8 cents per click, or basically 20 cents a click. This has actually gone down 4 cents since I last totaled it yesterday so I think my attempts to bring the cost per click down some seems to be working while maximizing the clicks I've been getting.

I've been using Sai's ad banners and I thank him very much again for creating them.

I believe that this has been a pretty good success and as long as I can scrape together money I will keep it up. I admit, however, there will be gaps in my 'advertising campaign', since 30 dollars every 3 or so days is sadly something I can't afford for the entire month.

If anyone else is interested in advertising with PW (either for Project Fedora or for their own website or project) I request you use myaffiliate link, it gets me 30% credit towards ads on any money you spend at PW, and not just on the first time, but any time you spend funds on ads. My only request, obviously, is you look at the ad you're bidding against and make sure it's not a Tex Murphy ad.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.

Thanks and may the Big PI in the Sky bless us all, especially Tex. ;)
Okay, so another day and nearly out of the 60 dollars I put in. (30 dollars to start then another 30 to continue this experiment) Sunday seems to be good for clicks probably because no one updates on the weekend so people are looking for more content when there is none.

Anyway, as of 9:30am EDT I got 347 clicks and in total have spent 59.43. That is 17.18 cents a click... so the cost per click keeps sliding down which makes me happy, though the cost per day is going up which makes me sad because the advertising is likely going to be a bit more erratic from here on out. I put in another 15 but that may be it for a while, we'll see. Considering how much I want a new Tex I'm likely going to keep advertising as long as I have spare cash, even if it makes things tight around here...
Another day another click. I put in another $15 yesterday bringing the total spent to 75 dollars. As of this morning I had 475 and $3.33 left in the 'bank'. The narrowing the target to more clicks per cent pages brought the cost per click down to 15.08 cents per click. A very good trend. However it came at a very small price. So far I'd been gaining clicks each day. The clicks on Sunday was 135. Monday's clicks however was 128. I think the fact that I'm going to be spreading my money out a little longer makes it worth it. I added another 15 dollars today making it $90 total spent. I think I'm going to stop at 100 for a while. I can't afford to advertise beyond that. Hopefully this little experiment has done enough to bring in more that the $100 that will be put into it when it is done.

As always, any questions or comments are welcome.
Time for another daily update if anyone cares. ;)

Today's total click count is up to 684, taking the previous 475 from it leaves us with 210. A new record for clicks. Seems Monday is a good day for ads... or at least this specific Monday was. I'm starting to wonder how effective they are however, since while I had a record ad day, Project Fedora had a record low (for PF obviously). This record day brought the cost per click down to 12.37 cents per click. Over two and a half cents cheaper in total.

Yesterday I'd also removed a few more of the costlier per click ads, and yet it still had a record day for cheaper than any day so far. I'm adding my final 10 dollars today. So there should be one, maybe 2 updates and then that will be it for a while, at least until I can afford more ads. That probably won't be for 2 weeks, so it'll be closer to the end of the Kickstarter. Hope some people out there found this interesting and were not annoyed by the daily updates. ^_^;;
i found interesting that the color of your hair and beard doesn`t match... how come?
Very interesting. Thanks for the updates!
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
my voice just wrote:i found interesting that the color of your hair and beard doesn`t match... how come?
Bad Genes? Honestly, it's something that's been like that since forever. My hair is black and my beard/moustache is brown/red/black.

Ive also always had a bit of grey in my hair since I was a teen. Who knows.
Thanks for the updates - interesting to read.

I won't ask where the grey hair is.
David
:lol:
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I too decided to give Project Wonderful a shot. I saw $3 Project Wonderful space on thecinemasnob.com open with no bids, so I thought I'd fill it. It looks like this:

I also bought a cheap BlogAd on that site, but it's not showing up yet. If that's how BlogAds roll, absolutely no way am I going to buy a $150-250 ad on The Spoony Experiment.

EDIT:

Forget Blogads! Spoony's site has Project Wonderful as well, and so I bid on there and at the moment there are 3 copies of the above ad! :mrgreen:
Hey, LockeCole, did you notice that ads sometimes ended up costing way more than you thought they would?

I'd look at my bids list and say "hmm, that looks good, I can afford that" and later I'd look at my funds and say "WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO?! :evil: " I also ended up getting into a little bidding war with some people over a certain spot. I gave up.

So I ended up buying from a different ad provider that has flat rates instead, once I figured out that paying a big sum for 2 weeks is < or = a Project Wonderful ad per day. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.
joliet_jane wrote:Hey, LockeCole, did you notice that ads sometimes ended up costing way more than you thought they would?

I'd look at my bids list and say "hmm, that looks good, I can afford that" and later I'd look at my funds and say "WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO?! :evil: " I also ended up getting into a little bidding war with some people over a certain spot. I gave up.

So I ended up buying from a different ad provider that has flat rates instead, once I figured out that paying a big sum for 2 weeks is < or = a Project Wonderful ad per day. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.
It all depends how you bid. What your max is. I learned quickly to bid low because many times people bid on the busiest time of day and not just the busiest sites. It took me the first few days to learn to trim the sites that were costing me the most per click (CPC) and just worrying about sites that gave me the most value. I was testing a lot of sites at once. Not sure how you were doing it, if it was just that one place or not. I plan to start up my ad campaign again soon now that we're approaching the final days and since I have a bit of extra money again. (so I'll be asking you where you're advertising so we're not bidding up each other's ads)
I've just now adjusted my bids. The only project wonderful ads I have now are on:

http://my.diaryofawizard.com/
http://www.i-mockery.com/
http://playthisthing.com/
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
http://tech-gaming.com/ (skyscraper)

They all have squares, except the last which has the skyscraper:

ImageImage

I also have BlogAds, which is a different ad site, on:
http://spoonyexperiment.com/
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/