The small joys of new technology

Frogacuda wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to integrate the FMV and the real-time graphics this time.
Frogacuda wrote:in-game
You're going to have to elaborate. Is there a problem with hyphens?
i quoted you to elaborate what wonder me
Bafitis wrote:But if that's your way of thinking then you might as well put Chelsee on Unemployment.
I'm sorry I don't read every article, even if it is Tex based... I spend over 12 hour a day reading on a regular basis as it is...
Sorry if I offended you Bafitis? :(

I don't catch/read everything either (like the bookstore thing on Facebook). I honestly didn't mean you had to know about the potential casting thing already, just typed the answer for convenience, it was mentioned in a podcast rather than a text-based interview :)

I think there could be some creative ways they could add a extension to Chelsee's newstand (maybe extending the stand to the left across the empty wall where there was just trashcans) where she could stock the latest new releases of books in addition to the latest magazines (like one of the small WHSmith places we get at train stations here in the UK). Then Rook's could stock older 2nd hand books. I quite like how Chelsee boldly stood out on the street despite the kind of area it was, fit her character perfectly. :D
Yeah I remember the computers in the Electronic Shop, they were all well out of Tex's price range if memory serves... Either that or they were antiques and Tex said you'd be lucky to get it to work...

I just figured that a Computer Cafe would have lots of people coming and going, good chance to meet some new characters and informants...

You know Chandler Avenue doesn't have to stay a run down derelict street...
Perhaps the Electronics Shop could have a computer that is outdated but good enough to run just the internet for info and reduced to clear for cheap, perfect for Tex who likes older tech. :D I think it'd be apt to see someone hanging out at the Brew & Stew, Golf Cafe, Slice O' Heaven, Fuschia Flamingo etc. And of course anything else new like a net cafe. Maybe an arcade section or virtual reality corner in the computer cafe.

I guess I like the slightly derelict/barren feel to Chandler to separate it from New Sanfrancisco. Part of Tex's charm for me was that he chose to move away from New to Old and live amongst the outcasts in the rundown part of the city. I think there definitely could be some improvements (e.g. in Pandora there was the new bank and the old theater got turned into the nightclub). Plus a few more characters milling about in places. Though I would personally (just me maybe) prefer it not to become too bustling and restored as a utopia area as I have always loved the dystopian angle. But I wouldn't mind some more characters to talk to on Chandler or in other locations. Not sure how far they will go down that route though but being an RPG fan I don't mind if a character is not relevant to the story and just adds flavor:
The one and only Dalton wrote:Populating streets in 3D environments is tricky because what is to stop you from deciding to follow a random person who is not involved in the story? Doing this would dilute the drive of the narrative and would be unsatisfactory to the player. The subject is something Chris and I have discussed and will continue to as we get closer to production. At this point a lot depends on which engine he wants to go with and what the final budget is.

Wish I could be more definitive but Chris is pioneering new territory for using FMV in a game.
What of the Bank between Louie's and the Electronics Shop??? Should they start opening the Bank or should they replace it with something???
Yeah I was thinking that too. I forgot it was later turned into a bank (in UAKm it was just disused). I think if Chandler is still rundown the poor economy would mean a bank would be largely unused. They could just have a bank cashpoint machine standing somewhere (maybe in Golden Gate Hotel) or a hole in the wall.
Sai wrote:
  • There might a large empty building between the Brew & Stew / Electronics Shop unless that was filled in PD? Depending on how big the businesses need to be they could fit 2 small narrow ones there (about the size of a small newsagents).
  • Next to the warehouse is just a very tall wall, so something could go there.
  • The Slice O' Heaven looks kinda bigger than what would be needed for a small pizzeria business ran by 1 person. Could be wrong but it looks even bigger than the Brew & Stew in UAKM so maybe a business could go right next to the fence to Rook's alley.
I can understand the slider thing being taken different ways and you could be right, I don't know Aaron's intention. When I watched it live (staying up at a stupid time in UK ugh) Chris carried it on saying "Every puzzle should be a slider puzzle" and then people in the Youtube chat was like "God no!". :lol: Some like sliders, everyones different. But I think a lot either dislike them because they're easy/tedious without a challenge (apparently there is a 'trick' to solving them) or they find them frustrating/boring, especially after certain ones, I'm looking at you Silent Hill. There could be more creative puzzles and there certainly could be other lock puzzles. :) If there's auto-solve it wont matter either way (unless someone wants max points).
Hammerhead wrote:There are numerous unutilized buildings throughout Chandler Avenue that could be turned into a new store. And, given the Golden Gate Hotel wasn't up to code, it could be looking at a major interior renovation that could make up for at least one new business on the street, more if they put in a gift shop.
Thats a good idea. People were asking for another appearance of Aaron so he could return as Ardo having made up for past mistakes and fixed up the Golden Gate. A couple of shops in the foyer/lobby could work well.
I wouldn't mind seeing a reinvisioned Rusty's Funhouse, maybe repurposed from being a funhouse, but still having previously unknown surprises, like a hidden attic or basement full of nefarious goods from Rusty's heyday.

That would be cool. There were so many things in Rusty's that you could look at but not use so it could be a nice place to pick up unusual (but useful in an Adventure) game items to solve later problems. I like the hidden trapdoor to a basement idea too.
Also, aside from Tex's conversations with Beek Nariz in UAKM, there's never been a real fleshing out of the area in the immediate vicinity of Coit Tower where Weinie World and the Cocoa Cabana are located. They could put some new businesses there that are entirely new structures.
Yeah I was thinking about that. Could be lots of opportunity there! I'm really looking forward to seeing Clint again, I wonder how his business is doing. :lol:

@cyberpunk: Oh, yeah I havent played Skyrim but watched others play it. Still I did take it sort of as a joke but ran with it anyway to carry on the funny trash themed discussion. :lol: I was thinking of just an extension to the end of Chandler though rather than fully open-world / sandbox.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Sai wrote:Sorry if I offended you Bafitis? :(
Absolutely no worries... I don't think you can really offend me... Sadly I'm the type that usually ends up offending others...

I'd just like to see Chelsee get a leg up rather than have her leaning on that plywood newsstand... It doesn't have to be Rusty's that gets turned into a bookstore if everyone would rather see Rusty's come back... We can stick Chelsee over in the unused Bank and put an ATM down by Louie's...

I must have missed something somewhere, an article or interview or something, but what are these Morlocks that I've see people talk about??? Are they some sort of cult/gang that has moved into the neighborhood???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Last edited by Sai on June 24, 2012 • 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OK, good to hear! :) I often misinterpret having offended someone so it goes both ways haha. :lol:

I kinda felt it fit her character to be boldly out on the street but I do think she should get a comfy chair and more coverage! Newsagent / bookstall kiosks are usually all covered so she could of redisgned her kiosk since we saw it last (we didn't see it during Overseer) beyond just a wood counter with a canopy. And extended it more to the left to stock books and other reading materials.

Examples:

http://cms.esi.info/Media/productImages ... ands_1.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/ ... e12daa.jpg

http://lds.localdataimages.com/large/1232/12324789.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7240/7338 ... dd1c64.jpg

http://images.ratemyarea.com.s3.amazona ... re=1635415
I must have missed something somewhere, an article or interview or something, but what are these Morlocks that I've see people talk about??? Are they some sort of cult/gang that has moved into the neighborhood???
Morlocks are monsters from the science fiction story The Time Machine by HG Wells. They look like this:

In the first video about stretch goals Chris said: "If we exceed our goal by 30%, we would like to expand Chandler Avenue even more and build a very dark and dangerous part of Chandler that's inhabitated by people so severely mutated they're known as Morlocks. Tex will find himself in constant danger on these Mean Streets." He also mentions the other new additions to Chandler such as 3 new businesses, a Golf Cafe etc.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tex ... sts/242632

I don't know if their final name will be Morlocks though or if it was just meant as a funny reference to HG Wells. I also wonder how it'll be handled. My preference (instead of shootouts or hand-to-hand combat) is stealth missions past the dangerous Mutants to reach heavily mutated informants who live in the dark underbelly of Chandler. Beek Nariz was a heavily mutated informant and according to the UTM site he lived in the shadows, perhaps if Beek is back at the Tower he could give you some info and, if you need more, let you know there is some who are even more well informed than him somewhere difficult to reach in the shadowy part of Chandler. I also wonder if it'll be set beyond the barricade at the end of Chandler where all the radiation signs are. Maybe due to the high radiation you'd have to avoid hotspots (since I think Tex might be resistant but possibly not immune if radiation is high enough) whilst trying to get to the informants. I think it'd be cool if Mutant creatures like strange rats etc. are also scurrying around in places. Just ideas though, nothing has been actually confirmed about how it will be implemented beyond what was in that Stretch Goals video.
I expect Morlocks to live underground, but that's just the implications of the Time Machine reference making me think that.

I think the Morlock community is a great chance to bring back the humorous mutants from the first three games (Beek, the dog-faced guy, the two-headed guy, etc). The fact that they seem to be bringing back the humor in general has me really excited for this (I didn't like the more serious direction of Overseer).
Frogacuda wrote:I think the Morlock community is a great chance to bring back the humorous mutants from the first three games (Beek, the dog-faced guy, the two-headed guy, etc).
Yeah I was thinking there could be "heavily" mutated informants, people like Beek and others who feel at home with the more "severely mutated", even though they are more dangerous I guess they could consider them as at least not judging them and that the Morlocks(?) might keep others out who would ridicule them. I get the impression by the fact Beek lived amongst the shadows that he didn't feel at home or welcomed even by other Mutants on Chandler due to how people might look at him or Rook might jeer at him :lol: The "severely mutated" Mutants (Morlocks?) could be less sentient and more dangerous due to having lost most of their humanity to radiation. But since Tex fought for Mutant rights I would rather he just avoided them out of respect that they were once human. So I like the idea of him stealthing past them to get to some sort of crude fenced off hangout/village made amongst the trash and barren land just off Chandler where people like Beek and other unusual Mutants live in the shadows. I agree it could lead to some creative conversations too.
Back on the original topic, I would love to see some weather changes. A day where it's pouring rain on Chandler could be very atmospheric, and little things like that help to make a world feel more alive.
Yeah that would be cool. Though I think many games seem to not bother unfortunately unless necessary to the plot if I remember right. But the ones that do add it in even if just for atmosphere, its very nice.

If they use Unity or some other modern engine, can they do weather effects easily?

If it was acid rain you might have to purchase something or combine some items to fashion a guard :lol:
Frogacuda wrote:Back on the original topic, I would love to see some weather changes. A day where it's pouring rain on Chandler could be very atmospheric, and little things like that help to make a world feel more alive.
I've thought the same thing, especially seeing how atmospheric the rain was in Blade Runner.
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)