'Gaming Kickstarter' - SDCC 2012

HANK wrote: Was Chris wearing the fedora and trenchcoat on the panel???
Only if Tex was in attendance. But Tex doesn't really know much about Kickstarter, so he probably wasn't invited as a speaker.
Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya on July 18, 2012 • 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANK wrote:Thanks for the updates!

Was Chris wearing the fedora and trenchcoat on the panel???

If Chelsee goes from newsstand to book store, does that then put Rook out on the street at the news stand i wonder???
CJ came as himself, not in character. The focus of the panel was discussing each team's experiences with using the Kickstarter platform.

Check out the pics on the FB page from CC. I have a few pics from the panel

I think it is completely doable, and not excessively expensive, to scan certain actors face if they are seen in the 3-D game space. Once you directly interact with character then clearly going with filmed cut scenes is what we want.

As a long time fan I would not mind the anachronism of a 2-D video sprite but others will certainly take note and complain. It will stand out for modern audiences expectations of current game world building.

Sai, I think that maybe what they will do is film different angles of the actors for general perspective changes in the 3-D space. What I can remember is CJ mentioned that their solution will be similar to the prior games.

Whatever solution they decide on I am sure that we will ultimately all be satisfied with the final product.

Assuming it works for Chelsee's character arc in the narrative I think it would be cool that she may have an actual store. Whether that will be the case remains to be scene. From the interviews it seems clear that Chandler Ave. is going to be a bit more populated and expanded which is a great thing.

Best Regards
KvE
Politics is like a corral. No matter where you are you will always be shoveling it.
KMFDMvsEnya wrote: Sai, I think that maybe what they will do is film different angles of the actors for general perspective changes in the 3-D space. What I can remember is CJ mentioned that their solution will be similar to the prior games.
True. I had forgotten about what Frogacuda mentioned in Pandora Directive (been awhile). So I guess when they said it'd be like the previous games I was thinking of Under A Killing Moon with that unblinking cardboard cutout of Chelsee propped up behind the counter :lol:

I remember now also this area where Reagen is standing in the environment. They seem to of filmed her at a few different angles and also she is moving a little bit, looking side to side,so she looks less flat. Plus she is also standing with a wall behind her as a simple way of stopping you from walking all the way around.
From the side
From the front.

What the programmer alluded to in the Google+ video was pretty interesting in that it sounded like they would be doing something different with the actors during gameplay, so thats kind of what I was thinking about but I realise that my wording may of come across as more negative than I had intended. I just meant if it was a confirmation that what the programmer said he was aiming for could not be done that would be dissapointing just because it sounded really cool. But I do note they say "similar" not "exactly like". Plus I also think its early days too so they wouldn't really want to promise anything or say too much, incase doing something different proved too difficult with whats on hand. Here's the part of the Google+ video I mean, when the programmer said (paraphrasing)
The biggest focus will be the user experience, how does the gameplay mesh with the video. The idea is to make those transitions between FMV and gameplay nearly seamless. So that when you're playing there's no break in that illusion. I guess the thing that will make it easier is there are a lot of engines now out of box, it looks like we've got one that will work very well for us. But it's still going to be challenging to write a system that will load an entire sequence of film on the fly and keep that seamless. The idea is to have no transitions between the game and the video. I can't tell you how challenging that will be yet, but I'll tell you when we get there [laughs]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5_t30F ... ge#t=1417s

I think just expanding on what they managed in Pandora Directive would be cool. I'm guessing that what they mean by "similar". Either way it'll be cool to hear from the programmer again in future during the dev blogs as he seems amibitous and I am eager to see what he comes up with as I am still not totally sure what he meant in the Google+ video but it sounded pretty epic. I could be misunderstanding you see what he meant by "seamless", I had thought it meant they will try something new with the appearance of walking up to a character and talking to them but they could just mean no loading time but then I don't think the previous games had much loading before a cutscene played.

Anyway as stated by the programmer, they are still figuring out the off the shelf engines and new FMV tech compared to their previous in-house stuff so it could prove too much of a challenge still. Either way I like that they are exploring these ideas even if they don't all come to fruition, just the drive behind that motivation will certainly make its way into the game in other ways.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Ooooh! :shock: Thanks for posting these pics!

Sai wrote: I remember now also this area where Reagen is standing in the environment. They seem to of filmed her at a few different angles and also she is moving a little bit, looking side to side,so she looks less flat. Plus she is also standing with a wall behind her as a simple way of stopping you from walking all the way around.
From the side
From the front.
That works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't... break it.
Well I think it's OK for them to try something "similar" but a bit different in terms of enhancing the effect. That's why I really like the programmers ambitions. Even if it proves ultimately too challenging having that drive to go beyond what was done previously in terms of how "the gameplay meshes with the video", as he put it, will likely feed into the execution somehow.

Similar to how the controls and interface will be getting an update. I'm sure there are some fans who got comfy with the old style and if asked wouldn't say they were "broken" as such or of minded if the new game hadn't changed that aspect. But as Chris Jones put it:
Its nice to be a retro product but you also have to realise that techniques have improved and those really have to be built into what you're doing. So just from the standpoint of our heritage we like to push the envelope.
KMFDMvsEnya wrote: Took these great pictures.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting them.

My fav of the bunch.

Two more.

and..

I hope they don't get chopped too badly.

Here's the link to the album.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o486/jenleelmp/tex/
Is that Ben Linus sneaking by in the second picture?

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Hm I'm really surprised how difficult it is to find a video of this panel. Since it wasn't just Chris Jones, but others too including Waseland 2, Shadowrun and Spaceventure. Surely someone from one of the fandoms whipped out a camera phone in the audience and caught Chris Jones speaking too?

Here's another photo though found (basically the same as on facebook, but directly from the front):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Bryy/IMG_6802.jpg

Credit Link.