Nit Picking

Ok, this is a minor point, but it's a bit important to me.

I object to using the term "real parents" for Jess' birth parents. My son is adopted. and WE are his REAL PARENTS. His adoption has been an open subject with us, but we refer to his birthparents as that: birth parents.

I'm not really offended or upset, but using the term "real" parents for the birth parents can cause problems in adoptions, and the relationships of all involved.

Actually, because of the sensitivity involved, the term "real parents" is seldom used. "Adoptive parents" and "birth parents" are the norm.
Never too late for coffee, never too early for beer.
hmm. It's funny. I'm adopted myself and didn't really think too much about the terminology used.

I've always been told i was adopted but i imagine someone who's just found out they've been adopted at the age of 30 would have a much less logical reaction, and i think Jess using the term 'real parents' in that situation works with the character.

Though i can understand feeling perturbed at the term being an adoptive parent.
I gots a webcomic! http://yetanothercomic.com
Hey Gary,

Calm down.

(J/k - trying to lighten things up a little...)
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
I have to agree with Gary on this one... Though not an important topic as stated, but I see where Gary is coming from... When a child is adopted out, are the "Birth Parents" really the "Real Parents"??? I'd have to say the Parents that love and raise the child would be considered the "Real" Parents...

Just my 2 cents, refunds are available through mail order forms...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Jerry Dan wrote:Hey Gary,

Calm down.

(J/k - trying to lighten things up a little...)

I get it! :)
Never too late for coffee, never too early for beer.
I don't think anything was meant by that. They could have used the word biological, but that would be too geeky. With the crazy Tellus family TCM actually promotes adoptive parents.
Don't forget they mave have used the slightly controversial term purposefully. You know. For effect, or something? I wouldn't put it past them.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Alice49 wrote:Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Nice cheerful thought for Christmas :?