Plumgas, got a question about your country.

I've been reading some news regarding Australian politics, not mainstream news but a different source. Anyways, it mentions that "Conservatives swept into power into Australia in September of 2013 in the biggest Labour rout in history. Shockingly, Australian conservatives may not last even one full term." Basically, it says that politics is up in the air and people are really disatisfied. I do not know your political lean and don't want to get you riled up, but I did want to ask what your take on this was. (Also, for anyone American who reads this, you have to switch meaning of Conservative and Liberal as they are the complete opposite in Australia.)

From your point of view, is the politics there really that discordant?
One Mean, Green-Eyed Fitch.
silvermitt wrote:(Also, for anyone American who reads this, you have to switch meaning of Conservative and Liberal as they are the complete opposite in Australia.)
Well, after all, they are 'down under'. Even the toilets run opposite* :lol:

* not really, I know, but it sounds good :wink:
Chandler wrote:Well, after all, they are 'down under'. Even the toilets run opposite* :lol:

* not really, I know, but it sounds good :wink:
LOL! Tsk-tsk..you're gonna get in trouble! ;P
Silvermitt, to answer your question about Australian Politics, the Conservatives who are also known as the Liberal Party, represent rightwing Australian politics. They are currently in power, and as has been reported, may not be elected for a second term, as they are very unpopular with the voters at present, mostly due to the unpopularity of Tony Abbott the current Prime Minister who has been less than satisfactory in many ways.

The leftist side of politics is represented by the Labour Party. They are regarded as a kinder, more socially fair party, though in truth there's not much difference between them and the Liberals.

There are also several minor parties such as the Greens who hold balance of power in the senate with a couple of other whacky independents and interest groups.

The current government has been trying to get their (very unfair) budget measures through the senate without success for months.

Whatever, Oz politics is never dull.
well Labour years ago was for the workers & Liberals for business but that has changed over years

@ chandler - I don't rubbish your country so don't rubbish mine.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
rubbish?? How did I rubbish OZ in any way?
Annie & Plumgas,

Thank you. I had hoped you could enlighten me. The American M$M doesn't like to report when allies are in trouble or having unrest. Granted political unrest isn't exactly shocking, but these are the small tremors that indicate something bigger comes this way, if you know what I mean.

I like this: "in truth there's not much difference between them and the Liberals."
because it tells me that no matter what geopolitical arena you visit, the the politicians are all the same jokers with a different colored facepaint. I guess they just can't help it. As far as I can tell, most go in with good intentions, and then give up their aspirations to end up being as corrupted as their predecessors. Sad. Here in the states, the predecessors were nearly millionaires, and the newly elected figured out how to make themselves beyond millionaires. Corruption at it's best.

If something really interesting does goes down on the political forefront, do send me a personal message? I'd so much rather get firsthand Aussie accounts. Thanks!

(Plumgas, I don't think Chandler was trying to rip on you/ or Australia. He was teasing me. It's what we do with each other here. Like a couple of old farts in a nursing home. He takes off my wheels on my wheelchair-- I hide his false teeth. Just a game. Please don't be angry.)
More than that silvermitt. I don't even see how what I said is insulting in any way. Everyone talks about Australia being 'down under'. It's not an insult, never was that I know of. To me it's simply a statement that OZ is in the southern hemisphere.

And the joke about the toilets, well, people have been joking about that for decades. There is even a scientific basis for the claim even though, in reality, the coriolis effect is far too small on the Earth to cause toilets to flush in opposite directions in the northern and southern hemispheres.

To be honest, plumgas' post totally baffled me.
its been several posts that has been disturbing me. I am pretty easy to get along with & I always here to help people but there comes a time when I say "enough is enough"

the toilets just topped the line,

If australia was so bad why are have so many other people from other countries travelling here & why do we have people wanting to never leave.

We are not a desert or a land of infested spiders, snakes & kangaroos. Yes we have them but so do other countries apart from the kangaroos. Queensland has crocodiles & toads & yes parts of australia does have red dusty soil but thats not all of australia.

Take it from Oprah .....australia is beautiful. (as we all know you americans don't buy anything unless says Oprah buy it.

just be a little more respective of other people's countries........I know consider this subject closed!
Lynne
I will only add 1 more thing plumgas, and that is that you have completely, utterly, absolutely, and totally misconstrued the intent, meaning, and purpose of my comments for certain, and I suspect of silvermitt's as well.

I can promise you on all the stars in the universe that there was never any intent to besmirch, belittle, denigrate, rubbish, trash, criticize, or in any other way imply anything negative about Australia.

I find OZ fascinating, interesting, beautiful, and varied. It's people are educated, talented, peaceful, and great allies of many western, developed countries. OZ is almost certainly the most advanced country in its part of the world.

I put this down to a miscommunication, the kind that can easily occur when trying to communicate via email, blogs, and forums.
I spent several years of my childhood living in Sydney. Frazier was president.

It's a beautiful place full of all kinds of different people from all over. I'd love to go back.
wow that is going back malcolm Fraser went out crying 1983
Lynne