Overseer - CD to DVD Guide

plumgas wrote:I used my vista version dvd disk from your patched files & installed under xp as you have stated that it's only the setup that is different between both versions.
If you created the disc in Vista it will work in XP, and if you created the disc in XP it work in Vista. The files are all the same.

The only differences in the instructions are
  • How to get to the command prompt from the Start Menu
    The command to copy the cds to the hard drive
    It is assumed your XP account is an Administrator
    Vista requires Run As Administrator

plumgas wrote:Played well under xp except for a static line across the screen. I thought I will change lock video from -1 to 1 just in case & then I get thick coloured lines across the screen unable to see anything but lines. I thought I will set the affinity to one processor but found that was already done. imagecfg does not work, maybe you have already included it.

I cannot get back into overseer now except for these lines. Any idea what the poblem is.
It must be a video problem under xp, No problem when playing under vista.
My first thoughts are Video drivers. Did you try an older or newer version of the drivers? I do not think it is a video codec issue.

The machine I tested with is a Toshiba Satellite M40 with a Nvidia Geforce 6600 Go. I'm using older drivers from Toshiba's website 7.3 (released in 2005). The software environment is Windows XP with SP3 and all updates from Windows Update, Divx 6.8.5, Xvid 1.1.3, Nero 7. That is the only software on that machine besides the drivers for all the other hardware.

You could download the overseer files from Nilo's site (http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/), then recopy the overseer.exe and tex.ini files from the dvd you created. Hopefully this will get you back to just the one static line across the screen. Then you could try installing a different version of the video card drivers.

Otherwise, I would uninstall Overseer. Install a different video driver. Reinstall Overseer from the dvd you created. May require trying multiple video drivers.

Maybe someone else will have a few good ideas to try.

A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
    I managed to get back in last night I set the compatability to windows 95 & then it allowed me back in.The static line only seems to when I click the mouse.

I am playing from the same computer, xp is via esata external drive. it's a fresh install with only drivers installed & black dahlia nothing else.

just checked the video driver for vista & I will try to find a xp driver to see if there is any change.
    However I was playing overseer dvd version on this drive before I noticed your post & I don't think I was getting the static line then.

I will let you know how I go.
    Lynne
    tex murphy is back in town
    well changing video drive made no difference, I think I will stay with vista as I never had a problem.
    With xp I am crashing constantly at alcatraz. Maybe I might do the install again as I did have the previous version there & maybe there is some conflict.
    Lynne
    Hi! The recent announcement of secret project 'fedora' filled me with tex-mania again and I started replaying the games again. I got UAKM and PD working fine and have finished them and have now moved on to Overseer.

I'm having some trouble though. To cut it short I first tried to install and run the game and after using compatibility with win98/ME I got the setup to work, installed and ran the game. It runs well, as far as I could tell but it skipped the videos. I then looked around, found the guide on Nilo's page patched the game installed the DVDExpress thingy and ran the game again: now the videos were playing fine but if I skip the access logo video (or let it play for that matter) the game crashes.

I've spent the last few hours looking through threads on here to see if someone had a similar problem but couldn't find anything (hope I didn't miss it but I'm not very familiar with this forum, I only come here once in a while to see if a new game has been announced :lol:).

I'm assuming its a configuration problem since both the game itself and the videos seem to run, just not with the same setup, but I'm totally clueless as to how to solve the problem. I'm running it on 32bit vista and I have tried running both from an image and from the dvd (I have the CDs at my parents and won't be able to get them for a while).

TIA!
    http://www.lpcdaust.com/downloads.html

download dvd express full version its 20mb, check the size of the file you downloaded from nilo's site as some else had the same problem.

I would suggest getting the cd disk & using the guide to burn the data from your cd's to a dvd disk.
    Lynne
    actually I don't think you will be able to run the dvd version under vista anyway.
    Lynne
    Humm the link at that website doesn't seem to be working, but the version I got was indeed about 20mb, version 5.00.00.6.2 it is.

Well, I guess I shouldn't worry to much about it, I'll have a brand new game to play in a few days :wink:, that should keep me busy until I can get my cds, but has no one ever been able the get the DVD version working under Vista then? I thought the two where basically the same, only difference was the quality of the videos.
    Welcome to the Community of Tex Verandi... So stick around awhile and join us for some good conversation along with enlightening conversation... A lot of the people here are wells of information...
    The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
    Verandi wrote:Humm the link at that website doesn't seem to be working, but the version I got was indeed about 20mb, version 5.00.00.6.2 it is.

Well, I guess I shouldn't worry to much about it, I'll have a brand new game to play in a few days :wink:, that should keep me busy until I can get my cds, but has no one ever been able the get the DVD version working under Vista then? I thought the two where basically the same, only difference was the quality of the videos.
    not sure if they got it going under vista or not, there a lot of posts with people trying.
    Thats why SansGUI put out the cd to dvd installer due to the vista problems. Give it ago when you get your cd's. Don't forget disk 5 is in the dvd case.
    Someone last week had the file from nilo web site had a problem & they downloaded from jeff's site & it worked.
    I checked the version & it's the same file. The link is still down I emailed him about it.
    it helps if you install it before overseer.
    Lynne
    Verandi wrote:Humm the link at that website doesn't seem to be working, but the version I got was indeed about 20mb, version 5.00.00.6.2 it is.

That is true, but the dvd version introduces an additional piece of software (DVDExpress). On it's own DVDExpress can also cause issues in Vista (crashing Explorer, Desktop, and Aero). However, I have gotten the DVD version to play in Vista. There are some game play issues and workarounds that you can find information about on these boards.
    plumgas wrote:well changing video drive made no difference, I think I will stay with vista as I never had a problem.
    With xp I am crashing constantly at alcatraz. Maybe I might do the install again as I did have the previous version there & maybe there is some conflict.
    Alcatraz? Did it happen going through the first level everytime you turned around to see where the guard was? That has happened to me before. I think I saved alot at that point. I think I also had muted all sounds at that point.

Well...at least it's working in Vista :)
    A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
    I used this guide today and I'm glad to say that everything is just perfect, at least for now (I barely played the first ten minutes of the game)!

Thanks SansGUI! :D
    AndreaDraco83 wrote:I used this guide today and I'm glad to say that everything is just perfect, at least for now (I barely played the first ten minutes of the game)!

Thanks SansGUI! :D
    Glad to hear you found it useful, your welcome.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide as it really helped me! I was using the DVD version before and it kept having troubles, but I'm on Windows 7 now and it all works perfectly.

Adam
    I have been trying to install Overseer on Vista for a while and have been trying to follow the steps outlined here, but I cannot find the patch package that includes tex.ini and the other documents. Any idea where I can find it. It is really for my wife who is an avid fan and has never been able to finish the game because of other bugs.
    Good DVD Guide

But man must also copy all the files from the supervisor of the DVD Otherwise, it is not. It's not different, but I made an entry in the tex.ini

LockVideo=-1 to LockVideo=1

My problem is that your NoCD crack is working, but my game is back in English. I need a German NoCD Crack exe. Can you build something like that for me, I can not get it. I uploaded the exe to you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TyIR4 ... qFme9Cuqj3