The Rumor Mill

Last edited by Demonlawyer on April 04, 2009 • 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the update. Any news on this is good news, but the sooner we can start digging in our pockets to bring back Tex the better.

Also can't wait for 3CM. I'm beginning to wonder if it will be a little like a Laura Bow mystery though.
David
OK, I guess I should have thrown in a Three Cards update while I was at it. :-p

Chris and I were at GDC last week meeting with a bunch of possible distributors. The response was overwhelmingly positive and we're currently deciding between several very good options. We expect to have a firm release date in the next week to ten days. As soon as we do, we'll release a new game trailer featuring all in-game content.

The game itself is in the latter stages of beta testing. We anticipate being ready to release in two weeks.

I apologize for not keeping everyone (and the http://www.threecardstomidnight.com website) updated, but we've been cranking hard on the development ever since Christmas and it's been impossible (obviously) to accurately predict when we'll be finished. However, I think people will really appreciate the extra work we've done; it's really taken the game from a casual experiment to a full-blown gaming experience. And the story is great (he said humbly).

As for remaking Killing Moon or anything like that, as long you're doing it for fun, Chris and I aren't going to sue you. :-) I'm a big supporter of fan fiction and creating a new version of the old games is really just technical fan fiction.

And nice work there, Electron Stu. Made me feel like Obama for a second.

Cheers,

Aaron
Allow me to be the first to do the happy-dance.

There.

Now then, my greatest question is, will we have the option to give the game away like a gift, such as Valve's Steam gives you an option to do?

Other than that. I'm just... trying hard not to get too excited. I might geek out.

Thanks for the update!

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
I'm really looking forward to 3CM, I check the site everyday! I hope you get the success you deserve, and that it leads to the long awaited Tex Murphy game.

Thanks for the news :D
2 weeks, that sounds great, but don't worry, 98% of us won't be too upset if it's a bit longer... Of course we'll appreciate the effort you guys have done...

I thought 3 Cards was going to be a Digital Release only??? Have you decided to go with a CD in Stores as well now???
I don't know much a distribution, I just figured you gave the game to a website, tell them the price you want and then they put their own profit price on top of that... Like I said, I don't know much about it... So I'm asking...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
And I assume when the game is released, you guys will stop by and join in with the community a bit more often ;)
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
AC wrote:OK, I guess I should have thrown in a Three Cards update while I was at it. :-p

Chris and I were at GDC last week meeting with a bunch of possible distributors. The response was overwhelmingly positive and we're currently deciding between several very good options. We expect to have a firm release date in the next week to ten days. As soon as we do, we'll release a new game trailer featuring all in-game content.

The game itself is in the latter stages of beta testing. We anticipate being ready to release in two weeks.

I apologize for not keeping everyone (and the http://www.threecardstomidnight.com website) updated, but we've been cranking hard on the development ever since Christmas and it's been impossible (obviously) to accurately predict when we'll be finished. However, I think people will really appreciate the extra work we've done; it's really taken the game from a casual experiment to a full-blown gaming experience. And the story is great (he said humbly).

As for remaking Killing Moon or anything like that, as long you're doing it for fun, Chris and I aren't going to sue you. :-) I'm a big supporter of fan fiction and creating a new version of the old games is really just technical fan fiction.

And nice work there, Electron Stu. Made me feel like Obama for a second.

Cheers,

Aaron
Thanks again for the update.

If you don't mind though, in regard to the TM games, I do have 1 question:

Now that you guys have the rights to them, is there any possibility of re-releasing via digital distribution? I strongly recommend you check out a website called http://www.gog.com (good old games). As the title suggests, it's a website that is dedicated to digital downloads of classic 1990s games at very very low prices. Tex definitely wouldn't be out of place.
I was thinking of suggesting that Joel. I agree guys, that would be a wonderful way of getting those older Tex game out there.
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
Are those two good news, from two different franchises (one franchise to be) wrapped into a single thread?

April is a good contender for Month of the Year this time around!
Part-Time Nomad
As for remaking Killing Moon or anything like that, as long you're doing it for fun, Chris and I aren't going to sue you
Well the whole point of what I said about it being commercial is I was going to develop it with the hopes you guys would be able to profit from it and I'd take a very small cut to cover the time it took. I'm already developing other commercial games anyway so its no big loss for me.

I was just hoping that if you guys had the option to pitch a completely remade UAKM to a publisher it may be a way of getting Tex back into the minds of many publishers- because Aaron I seriously doubt any publisher at this time has the money to develop much, well at least at the quality that gamers expect these days from their games (ie. AAA) - all the publishers are going down the toilet- but one that seems to be doing better than the others is Paradox Interactive whom you'd know published the indie award winning game Mount and Blade.

They're a good publisher and have their own distribution network like Steam called GamersGate which is really awesome- it doesn't require any stupid encrypting or recompiling with some hard to use SDK like Steamworks- the only problem with it is that its not a good means of piracy protection-- but then what is these days.

Tex may only come back on an indie platform, I think we all know that so hence why I thought something like Quake 3 would be ideal. I know the fans will love it, but mainstream gamers will probably shrug it off.. but because the game could be produced on the cheap (ie. Free until we have to sell it) it could defy the industry trends of costs blow outs, over priced technologies from third parties, ect..

I just want to get Day1 done of UAKM and that's all just so I can prove to myself that I can develop something in Quake3 because I'm scared ID might go down with the rest of the industry before Doom3 can go GPL-- and that'd essentially fork my hopes for starting a high quality indie developer here in Adelaide.

I'll hopefully get a demo whipped up soon. Should get started on some of tex's office equipment. If anyone wants to lend a hand it'd be fine with me- that essentially stops it from being commercial and strictly a fan game, I don't mind developing it for free- that wasn't the point, the point was to produce something to pitch to the publishers and to Big Finish.
Now that you guys have the rights to them, is there any possibility of re-releasing via digital distribution? I strongly recommend you check out a website called http://www.gog.com (good old games).
If they did this I'd give up on remaking the game- GOG can take care of it then.
Well, about remaking the games, the guys (and me) over at ScummVM are still wondering if it would be possible(more like allowed) to get the old point and click TM games (Countdown and even more) running on ScummVM. But without support from AC/CJ it is practically impossible as all logic is compiled into the exe files and that would be a real pain in the butt to redo without the actual sources..
For people who don't know what ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org) is, it's a program which lets you play a lot of old point&click adventure on a lot of different platforms.. there are even some publishers who actually freewared their old games because of the excellent support of ScummVM, like Revolution software's "Beneath a steel sky" (creators of hits like Broken Sword). For a lot of other games you need the original games to be able to play, it also supports a lot of different versions(platform like Amiga/PC/Mac) of the games. As far as I know distributors are allowed to provide ScummVM with their old games so they can sell them again..
I've PMed AC but never got a response..
I personally am not going to get excited about the news until the fat lady sings. Because it may not be Tex as we know it.
Bjyman wrote:I personally am not going to get excited about the news until the fat lady sings. Because it may not be Tex as we know it.

What's life without a little unsure hope?
Travis Jacobs

Joel wrote:
Now that you guys have the rights to them, is there any possibility of re-releasing via digital distribution? I strongly recommend you check out a website called http://www.gog.com (good old games). As the title suggests, it's a website that is dedicated to digital downloads of classic 1990s games at very very low prices. Tex definitely wouldn't be out of place.
haha! What is that now? Plug number 3 for GOG?

-Cub. =o)
Cubase wrote:
Joel wrote:
haha! What is that now? Plug number 3 for GOG?

-Cub. =o)
5 ;)