Re: Tex Murphy series for sale at GOG!!

GOG are having a few problems with overseer, They want to put out the DVD version but not sure if they legally can include DVD express or change it somehow so they don't need it. They have been asking if anyone knows anything or can submit any suggestions.

I am sure if any one could have found a way around dvd express it would have been done before.

the post is here if you have anything to add - http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/Tex ... GOG_com/90
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Why not just contact the creators of Express and ask permission??? If Express wants a cut, then just add it into the price of Overseer... People will still pay for it, even if it is a couple bucks higher than Pandora or UAKM...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
they don't exist anymore
Lynne
plumgas wrote:they don't exist anymore
then there is no problem then right? Nobody left to sue is it is used. Unless the rights have been bought by somebody else?

-Cub. =o)
I'd love to see the DVD version for download as I wasn't able to play it when it was originally released due to my decoder board not being compatible. THe extra sized download doesn't bother me. Hell, the download for DVD Overseer would be smaller than UKAM and PD combined i'd imagine. I say go for it.
Cubase wrote:
plumgas wrote:they don't exist anymore
then there is no problem then right? Nobody left to sue is it is used. Unless the rights have been bought by somebody else?

-Cub. =o)
Exactly my thought... If there is no company in existence, then there will be nobody to file a law suit... Otherwise take my last post and change the Creators part to the Copyright Holders...

Surely there has to be somebody to contact, otherwise DVD Express is Freeware then, isn't it??? Which means Bigfinish or GOG can use it as they please...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

it appears the company that was the distributor was purchased by another company who are not allowing any more licenses for the software. I think the software was trashed as it only worked with earlier systems. I remember getting the program with a IBM PC back when I had a Pentium 2 . So it was windows 98 days.
Lynne
If it was trashed that kind of makes it abandonware then doesn't??? There has got to be something that can be done...

There aren't any other DVD programs that worked with Overseer??? There has to be something that will work besides Express...

I never tried to run the DVD version, when I first got the game my computer didn't have a DVD Drive... When I got a DVD Drive I was too busy to bother with games and by the time I got back around to games my older stuff was boxed up...

Just how much better is the vidya quality in the dvd version anyway?
TexMex wrote:Just how much better is the vidya quality in the dvd version anyway?
Insanely better. The CD version used the old 'smacker' codec, which is in my opinion one of the worst ever conceived. In fact it was so bad that they added an "interlace footage" option to cover up its compression. The DVD version uses the Bink codec, which is still used in the most modern games today.

-Cub. =o)
That's so great to hear. All the more reason to anticipate a DVD version of the game released on GOG then. I'm pretty used to interlacing in fmv games, like Ripper and Black Dahlia, and I'd welcome the change immensely. No more looking past tiny black bars to see a grade A, film worthy murder mystery. This isn't some sort of magic eye puzzle, it's an FMV adventure!

Now I just have to be patient and wait til GOG releases it, and not resort to torrents, or my old CD version of the game. I'm sure I'll be blown away!

Thanks, Cub!
I love Ripper, do you know how to get it working on newer systems???

Heck of a lot of dosbox and general tinkering and manipulating. After days of trying, I was finally able to get it to run smoothly and without many hitches.

Here's a faq that helped me.

http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilec ... n%20Levels

Used it on my vista, and it worked. Occasionally it would lock up, but since Ripper is a game where you save all the time anyway, it shouldn't matter much. Mostly occurred in the third act. Hopefully that works for you.

Before you do anything, try installing ripper to your C: drive, and running it with the new .73 version of DosBox. That might have some effect. If that doesn't work, try that faq. It's a weekend project, but it's so worth it. Walken, and BÖC. Not much is better that that literally gruesome twosome.
So that's what's delaying Overseer? I knew something was going on. DVD version would be great, but at this point I'll take the CD version if nothing else.

I've never even played Overseer. How sad is that. In my mind, it's the Holy Grail of gaming.
Well I certainly don't want to turn you off from Overseer, but Pandora is the better of the series... Overseer is a great game, don't get me wrong there, just trying to soften the blow for when you get disappointed that it isn't better than Pandora...
So you can look at it as a lost treasure, I just wouldn't go grouping it with the Holy Grail... lol

Pandora was just so well written and the actors/characters are just off the charts... Pandora was indeed a piece of work... Still praised by many critics as an outstanding game... It was beyond it's time in the 90s and can still rival adventure games today...

Have you downloaded and listened to the Radio Theater Episodes???

As for your idea of them releasing the CD version, I agree... If they figure out a way to get the DVD version to work, then they can release that at another time, maybe for a few bucks more, then people would have an option between the 2... But at least it would get it out there generating cash instead of sitting on their development hard drive...