Ridiculous adventure game logic (Pandora spoilers)

Hi all.

In my excitement about the new game I just played Pandora again for the 3rd or 4th time.

Still one of my favourites.

But something at the end bothered me. Was wondering if I'm the only one.

Where the hell did Malloy get the black dagger and why did he pawn it?

Did I miss an explanation or is it just ridiculous adventure game logic?

Other examples include "My destination is just past this scary ancient temple. I can't be bothered going around, so I'll just go through and risk my death on many traps with no real reason to think there's even an exit on the other side."

and "Rather than meet with this guy and tell him the situation I'll set up a meeting then break into his house and steal his stuff while he's gone"

Any other fun examples people have noticed? Or are any of these examples actually real logic rather than adventure game logic.
prepare to die!
Well, all fiction is subject to lapses in logic. Just look at the Star Wars prequels. How did Palpatine know that he could turn Anakin to the dark side in the roundabout way he did? Why was Anakin sent to protect Padme on what obvious was a romantic getaway? When Padme is attacked in her bedroom by a floating droid, Obi wan jumps out the window after it. How does it know it won't drop him or explode?
oh shi...
Wait, you're using the Star Wars prequels as an example?
Gur, Gur bëhet mur.
yeah, it`s that bad
It's been a few years since I last played Pandora.

I believe the dagger was sent by Oliver Edsen, who was down in the Yucatan. Malloy then pawned it, presumably to keep it away from the NSA.

As for the temple, Tex does explicitly state the jungle is too dense to go around the temple and that maybe he could find a way through.
xhonzi wrote:Wait, you're using the Star Wars prequels as an example?
As an example of logical failures, yes. The prequels have so many that they actually are in themselves examples of ridiculous logic.
joliet_jane wrote:
As an example of logical failures, yes. The prequels have so many that they actually are in themselves examples of ridiculous logic.
Have you ever watch the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels? I already didn't love them, but those reviews made me hate them :)
Matthew Buckstein wrote:
joliet_jane wrote:
Have you ever watch the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels? I already didn't love them, but those reviews made me hate them :)
Yep, that's where I got those examples from :mrgreen:
Ah. Edsen sent it. That makes sense, kind of. At least we know he was in the general area.

But I'm guessing his final thoughts were something like "Damn. That dagger could be useful now that I'm trying to get through this temple" :)

Totally agree with the Star Wars prequels.

My favourite was Obi-Wan's attempt to hide Luke from Vader.

So, if Vader ever gets nostalgic he looks up the planet Tatooine and finds there's a boy who was born about the time his pregnant wife died living with Vader's stepbrother 15 metres from where Vader buried his Mum. This kid has the surname Skywalker. Not only that but just down the street lives some dude with the surname Kenobi.

Man, I'd love to play hide and seek with Obi-Wan.
I always thought he pawned it because he was hard up for cash. If he thought the dagger was useful wouldn't he have included it in one of this boxes?
I guess it makes more sense that he did it for the money than to protect it.

I imagine Edsen sent the dagger to Malloy as an example of the Black Sun symbolism. He'd have had no idea it could save his life :)
Matthew Buckstein wrote:I imagine Edsen sent the dagger to Malloy as an example of the Black Sun symbolism. He'd have had no idea it could save his life :)
That was always my impression.
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
I'm sure the daggers for Edsen would just pop up anyways.