Just donated to project Fedora

pyremes wrote:Another thing I've been slightly worried about is that this game gets funded, but then not enough people buy it to recoup the $300k that Big Finish are putting in. Then what? Kickstart the next game in the series? Give up on it forever?
Obviously, if there is not enough interest in the series to turn a profit they will not continue it.

This will undoubtedly make back that $300,000, that's a very low bar to reach. To make another one, though, it'll probably have to make quite a bit on top of that, at least enough to partially cover yet another game's budget, and probably enough for the whole thing.

But it wouldn't be surprising to me if this made over a million dollars for them. If they sell it for $20 on Steam that's like 71,000 copies (bearing in mind devs get 70% and Valve gets 30%). Machinarium did like 300,000 on PC in its first year alone.
Frogacuda wrote:But it wouldn't be surprising to me if this made over a million dollars for them. If they sell it for $20 on Steam that's like 71,000 copies (bearing in mind devs get 70% and Valve gets 30%). Machinarium did like 300,000 on PC in its first year alone.
I think it'd do well on GOG too (who now do New Releases as well). So hopefully they will be getting on there as well.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Don't forget the Sad but very likely fact that Project Fedora will end up Pirated within a week or so after its release... It's just the nature of the beast... Hopefully some security protocols can be put into place to prevent this for as long as possible...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
So THAT's what we needed the Shotgun and Ski-masks for ...
I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.
Bafitis wrote:Don't forget the Sad but very likely fact that Project Fedora will end up Pirated within a week or so after its release... It's just the nature of the beast... Hopefully some security protocols can be put into place to prevent this for as long as possible...
What part of "DRM Free" did you not read? People don't want those "security protocols." This will be pirated right away.

People will still buy it. Machinarium was DRM free at launch as well.
Frogacuda wrote:
Bafitis wrote:Don't forget the Sad but very likely fact that Project Fedora will end up Pirated within a week or so after its release... It's just the nature of the beast... Hopefully some security protocols can be put into place to prevent this for as long as possible...
What part of "DRM Free" did you not read? People don't want those "security protocols." This will be pirated right away.

People will still buy it. Machinarium was DRM free at launch as well.
So Sorry I offended you, no need to be rude about it, I'm unfamiliar with the initials/term DRM... I work much better with things spelled out, Digital Rights would have meant much more to me, instead I had to go look it up...
Also I've never heard of Machinarium, it being DRM Free at its launch means nothing to me...

Provided they aren't like the protocols that companies like EA and Sony use that screw with your system, then I don't mind security protocols... I'm all for people protecting their property... But if keeping Digital Restrictions out of the programming will draw in more people to donate, then so be it, bring on the Cash... $2,600 to 300K...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Bafitis wrote:Also I've never heard of Machinarium
I havent gotten around to playing my purchase of Machinarium but I love the games of the Amanita Design studio. I highly reccomend checking them out. :)

Machinarium was both on Steam (with DRM) and not on Steam (without DRM). I think I have both since I got it in the Humble Indie Bundle.

I didn't mind DRM until my internet connection went bust one day, I was bored (without the internet!) and though I'd install and play a game, but it required connecting to Steam for verification so I couldn't. I can definitely see now the concerns since if past tex Murphy games had required DRM protection it'd mean you wouldn't be able to play them anymore (e.g. the hintlines likely dont work anymore and go to pizza order hotlines by now so requiring to connect to a decade old web server could also be an issue for some games someday).
Getting back to the reason for this thread (ahem), I just want everyone to know that I, too, have donated to "the cause" and I sincerely hope we can come up with the total needed.

Something else - I have not been posting much lately, but I do visit the board often and I am very pleased with all the enthusiasm generated by the prospect of a new game. So then, why do I refrain from posting as I used to? Well, I'm just having fun watching all of you and I am absorbing your excitement. Though my words do not appear, my heart is with the team effort all of you show.

I am not boasting when I say that I was the one who first coined the phrase "keep the faith" a few years back. At least I think I did. It's been a while since I have drank some JD laced Geritol, so I could be wrong.

In the meantime, by all means, "keep the faith!"
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I am sure that piracy will be an issue. But, in a sense, Project Fedora is "pre-selling" the game at the $15 pledge level. Obviously, they're hoping for more sales, but they are guaranteeing the sale of X number of games (everyone at the $15 level and above). So, I suppose that the venture is a little less risky than if they were putting up the full $750,000 and were then having to hope for sales to recoup the full amount.
Jim the old guy wrote:I just want everyone to know that I, too, have donated to "the cause" and I sincerely hope we can come up with the total needed. Something else - I have not been posting much lately, but I do visit the board often and I am very pleased with all the enthusiasm generated by the prospect of a new game. So then, why do I refrain from posting as I used to? Well, I'm just having fun watching all of you and I am absorbing your excitement. Though my words do not appear, my heart is with the team effort all of you show.
Thanks Jim :) Good to have you around even if in the distance looking at us excited "kiddies" bouncing off the walls :lol:
Bafitis wrote:So Sorry I offended you, no need to be rude about it, I'm unfamiliar with the initials/term DRM... I work much better with things spelled out, Digital Rights would have meant much more to me, instead I had to go look it up...
Didn't mean to be rude. But to get you caught up to speed: Many gamers, and ESPECIALLY donors on Kickstarter who feel like they have some say in these matters are rabidly vocal against any for of DRM.

Early on in Project Fedora's kickstarter, someone started rumors that it MIGHT have DRM, and people flipped out, and they had to do several updates repeating that it will NOT have DRM in order to sate people.

You can debate about whether or not DRM can help a commercial game (I tend to think it is seldom effective), but the fact is, people are often hesitant to back any game on Kickstarter unless the clearly state that it is DRM-free. This was also an issue for Double Fine Adventure and several other prominent projects.
Also I've never heard of Machinarium, it being DRM Free at its launch means nothing to me...
It's one of the most successful downloadable point and click adventure games in recent years. So it sold just fine for the type of game it is, despite no DRM.

Unless it requires you to log into a server to play, DRM is usually cracked within a day or two. It's not really all that useful or effective.
Frogacuda wrote:It's one of the most successful downloadable point and click adventure games in recent years. So it sold just fine for the type of game it is, despite no DRM.
My gaming of "recent years" has been null and void for the most part... Last new game I played was Metal Gear Snake Eater, and I only played that because, well it's Metal Gear... With the exception of stupid Facebook games that my son insists that I play... I really only play because he doesn't have very many friends/neighbors to help, due to my restrictions on his account...
I wasn't trying to debate the DRM issues... Just saying I'm all for protection, but if masses prefer it be taken out and the owners don't feel it will harm them too badly, then so be it... And yes I know things like that get hacked very quickly...

I do however have a Surgery coming up this summer that will most likely put me in the house for an extended period of time, so instead of 12-14 {plus} hour work days, I'll go from that to 18 hour Game Days and hopefully do a little catch up... First on my list will the God of War 2-3 and LA Noire along with Hard Rain... But those are all console games...

Your Machinarium will surely be added to the list, but that will have to be added to my computer list...
I also plan on having a huge Retro Party for myself... The Tex games, Wing Commander games {FMV ones}, along with many other 90s games...

I've also been considering retirement, so that would surely open my schedule a bit... My recovery from surgery should determine that decision though...
Recently I've also been looking into doing a documentary, but with it being a Government organization and a kids' program, there is a massive amount of red tape involved with that, I've only begun to scratch the surface on that, but it looks promising...

Okay, enough about my short-term goals... Back to Tex... Cheers for the 300K, now that that line has been crossed my concerns have lessened a bit, but won't go away until the big line is crossed...

Personally, I've never understood DRM anyway. The entire reason its put on a game is to make it hard for someone to steal it. Yet no matter what you do to a game to secure it, it will be cracked and broken, and you'll end up making the people who pay for the game jump through more hoops then the people who actually pirate it. Why do that, when the pirates are going to get it no matter what? You're just making your paying customers jump through hoops needlessly.

Diablo 3 makes you sign onto a server, this, that and the other to play its game, and you actually have to be online to play it ... unless you pirate it, in which case you can play it offline with the hacks the crackers made to it. Should have just made it that way to begin with.

And you can say that "well the pirates won't have access to the dlc, or other goodies given away to the purchasers", but that isn't true either. Everytime a DLC is released, no matter how small, pirates find a way to incorporate it into their original crack. Every time. I remember when Assassin's creed 2 came out and it was suppose to stop pirates dead in their tracks. And it did ... for about 5 days. At the cost of what?

I just don't think DRM makes much sense. We shouldn't make the games harder to pirate. We should hunt down and prosecute each and every person who ever put a "cracked" version of a game up on a file-sharing service instead. It is, after all, against the law. Don't attack the end-user too.
I hear you... The problem with that is the Hackers are worldwide, which makes it harder to prosecute due to the laws of different countries, some of which not even having any... Which is why it is so hard to get rid of those Nigeria {just to name the most popular} emails we all have gotten at one time or another...

I never thought I would hear something that would make me consider one world government, but there it is. :?